Aug 21, 2010, 10:24 PM EDT
UPDATE, 10:24 PM: Zuckerman reports that Strasburg has a strained flexor tendon in his right forearm. That’s an early diagnosis, and he’s scheduled to undergo an MRI on Sunday in the nation’s capital.
UPDATE, 9:52 PM: Here’s an update: There is no update. According to Mark Zuckerman of Nats Insider, the Nats are expected to address the injury after tonight’s game.
8:45 PM: Normally we try to ease the panic and keep order around these parts, but this isn’t good.
Nationals phenom Stephen Strasburg was lifted from his start against the Phillies on Saturday with an apparent elbow injury. He delivered a 2-1 pitch to Philadelphia outfielder Domonic Brown and then looked to be in a good deal of pain while shaking the elbow on his throwing arm. The Nats, of course, pulled him immediately.
Strasburg, 22, had thrown four-plus innings of one-run ball against a tough Phillies lineup. He ended the night with six strikeouts against zero walks.
Whether the injury proves serious or not, we’re thinking that the Nationals will call it a season for their young ace. He’s up to 68 major league innings and turned in 55.1 this year in the minors. That’s a total of 123.1 frames. He topped out at 109 innings last year for San Diego State.
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 2
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 37
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)