Aug 21, 2010, 10:24 PM EDT
UPDATE, 10:24 PM: Zuckerman reports that Strasburg has a strained flexor tendon in his right forearm. That’s an early diagnosis, and he’s scheduled to undergo an MRI on Sunday in the nation’s capital.
UPDATE, 9:52 PM: Here’s an update: There is no update. According to Mark Zuckerman of Nats Insider, the Nats are expected to address the injury after tonight’s game.
8:45 PM: Normally we try to ease the panic and keep order around these parts, but this isn’t good.
Nationals phenom Stephen Strasburg was lifted from his start against the Phillies on Saturday with an apparent elbow injury. He delivered a 2-1 pitch to Philadelphia outfielder Domonic Brown and then looked to be in a good deal of pain while shaking the elbow on his throwing arm. The Nats, of course, pulled him immediately.
Strasburg, 22, had thrown four-plus innings of one-run ball against a tough Phillies lineup. He ended the night with six strikeouts against zero walks.
Whether the injury proves serious or not, we’re thinking that the Nationals will call it a season for their young ace. He’s up to 68 major league innings and turned in 55.1 this year in the minors. That’s a total of 123.1 frames. He topped out at 109 innings last year for San Diego State.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 0
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)