Aug 21, 2010, 10:24 PM EDT
UPDATE, 10:24 PM: Zuckerman reports that Strasburg has a strained flexor tendon in his right forearm. That’s an early diagnosis, and he’s scheduled to undergo an MRI on Sunday in the nation’s capital.
UPDATE, 9:52 PM: Here’s an update: There is no update. According to Mark Zuckerman of Nats Insider, the Nats are expected to address the injury after tonight’s game.
8:45 PM: Normally we try to ease the panic and keep order around these parts, but this isn’t good.
Nationals phenom Stephen Strasburg was lifted from his start against the Phillies on Saturday with an apparent elbow injury. He delivered a 2-1 pitch to Philadelphia outfielder Domonic Brown and then looked to be in a good deal of pain while shaking the elbow on his throwing arm. The Nats, of course, pulled him immediately.
Strasburg, 22, had thrown four-plus innings of one-run ball against a tough Phillies lineup. He ended the night with six strikeouts against zero walks.
Whether the injury proves serious or not, we’re thinking that the Nationals will call it a season for their young ace. He’s up to 68 major league innings and turned in 55.1 this year in the minors. That’s a total of 123.1 frames. He topped out at 109 innings last year for San Diego State.
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 33
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)