Aug 22, 2010, 12:10 PM EDT
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News is reporting that the Dodgers have acquired catcher Rod Barajas from the Mets for cash.
The Mets already have two other catchers on their active 25-man roster and are out of playoff contention. The Dodgers don’t have much of a shot either, but they’re without Russell Martin for the rest of the season due to a hip injury and were in need of a reliable option. A.J. Ellis and Brad Ausmus have been splitting time behind the plate in Los Angeles and hardly producing.
Barajas, 34, has a poor .225/.263/.414 batting line in 74 games this season but he has launched 12 home runs and collected 34 RBI. He will be a free agent at the end of this season.
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 1
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 34
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)