Aug 22, 2010, 12:10 PM EDT
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News is reporting that the Dodgers have acquired catcher Rod Barajas from the Mets for cash.
The Mets already have two other catchers on their active 25-man roster and are out of playoff contention. The Dodgers don’t have much of a shot either, but they’re without Russell Martin for the rest of the season due to a hip injury and were in need of a reliable option. A.J. Ellis and Brad Ausmus have been splitting time behind the plate in Los Angeles and hardly producing.
Barajas, 34, has a poor .225/.263/.414 batting line in 74 games this season but he has launched 12 home runs and collected 34 RBI. He will be a free agent at the end of this season.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 10
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 68
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 72
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (147)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)