Aug 22, 2010, 12:10 PM EDT
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News is reporting that the Dodgers have acquired catcher Rod Barajas from the Mets for cash.
The Mets already have two other catchers on their active 25-man roster and are out of playoff contention. The Dodgers don’t have much of a shot either, but they’re without Russell Martin for the rest of the season due to a hip injury and were in need of a reliable option. A.J. Ellis and Brad Ausmus have been splitting time behind the plate in Los Angeles and hardly producing.
Barajas, 34, has a poor .225/.263/.414 batting line in 74 games this season but he has launched 12 home runs and collected 34 RBI. He will be a free agent at the end of this season.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)