Aug 22, 2010, 4:33 PM EST
From the Marlins’ official Twitter feed comes word that the Giants have been awarded outfielder Cody Ross from the Marlins on a waiver claim.
Ross, 29, is batting .264/.315/.404 with 11 home runs and 58 RBI in 451 at-bats this season as a full-time outfielder for the Marlins. He’s a fairly versatile defender and will probably play a few different roles in San Francisco’s crowded outfield.
The Giants are doing all they can to give their offense a spark. The arrival of catching prospect Buster Posey lit off a productive July, but things have fallen flat in the month of August. Ross has posted decent power numbers in the past and boasts a respectable .264/.321/.466 batting line. Maybe he can get hot for a month-plus with the Wild Card-chasing Giants.
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News says that the Giants will pay all $1.1 million remaining on Ross’ contract.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)