Aug 22, 2010, 4:33 PM EDT
From the Marlins’ official Twitter feed comes word that the Giants have been awarded outfielder Cody Ross from the Marlins on a waiver claim.
Ross, 29, is batting .264/.315/.404 with 11 home runs and 58 RBI in 451 at-bats this season as a full-time outfielder for the Marlins. He’s a fairly versatile defender and will probably play a few different roles in San Francisco’s crowded outfield.
The Giants are doing all they can to give their offense a spark. The arrival of catching prospect Buster Posey lit off a productive July, but things have fallen flat in the month of August. Ross has posted decent power numbers in the past and boasts a respectable .264/.321/.466 batting line. Maybe he can get hot for a month-plus with the Wild Card-chasing Giants.
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News says that the Giants will pay all $1.1 million remaining on Ross’ contract.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 1
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 24
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 43
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 18
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)