Aug 22, 2010, 4:33 PM EDT
From the Marlins’ official Twitter feed comes word that the Giants have been awarded outfielder Cody Ross from the Marlins on a waiver claim.
Ross, 29, is batting .264/.315/.404 with 11 home runs and 58 RBI in 451 at-bats this season as a full-time outfielder for the Marlins. He’s a fairly versatile defender and will probably play a few different roles in San Francisco’s crowded outfield.
The Giants are doing all they can to give their offense a spark. The arrival of catching prospect Buster Posey lit off a productive July, but things have fallen flat in the month of August. Ross has posted decent power numbers in the past and boasts a respectable .264/.321/.466 batting line. Maybe he can get hot for a month-plus with the Wild Card-chasing Giants.
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News says that the Giants will pay all $1.1 million remaining on Ross’ contract.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 72
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47