Aug 22, 2010, 4:33 PM EDT
From the Marlins’ official Twitter feed comes word that the Giants have been awarded outfielder Cody Ross from the Marlins on a waiver claim.
Ross, 29, is batting .264/.315/.404 with 11 home runs and 58 RBI in 451 at-bats this season as a full-time outfielder for the Marlins. He’s a fairly versatile defender and will probably play a few different roles in San Francisco’s crowded outfield.
The Giants are doing all they can to give their offense a spark. The arrival of catching prospect Buster Posey lit off a productive July, but things have fallen flat in the month of August. Ross has posted decent power numbers in the past and boasts a respectable .264/.321/.466 batting line. Maybe he can get hot for a month-plus with the Wild Card-chasing Giants.
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News says that the Giants will pay all $1.1 million remaining on Ross’ contract.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)