Aug 22, 2010, 4:33 PM EDT
From the Marlins’ official Twitter feed comes word that the Giants have been awarded outfielder Cody Ross from the Marlins on a waiver claim.
Ross, 29, is batting .264/.315/.404 with 11 home runs and 58 RBI in 451 at-bats this season as a full-time outfielder for the Marlins. He’s a fairly versatile defender and will probably play a few different roles in San Francisco’s crowded outfield.
The Giants are doing all they can to give their offense a spark. The arrival of catching prospect Buster Posey lit off a productive July, but things have fallen flat in the month of August. Ross has posted decent power numbers in the past and boasts a respectable .264/.321/.466 batting line. Maybe he can get hot for a month-plus with the Wild Card-chasing Giants.
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News says that the Giants will pay all $1.1 million remaining on Ross’ contract.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)