Aug 22, 2010, 9:39 AM EDT
Angels outfielder Peter Bourjos had himself a nice little Saturday. The Halos beat the Twins 9-3 at Minnesota’s Target Field and the the 23-year-old collected a series of firsts.
Called to the big leagues on August 3 and thrown into the fire almost immediately, Bourjos hasn’t been perfect. But he has shown flashes. On Saturday he recorded his first career home run — a two-run shot — and his first triple — which also plated a run.
He also gunned down Twins outfielder Jason Kubel from center field in the fifth inning.
Bourjos is batting just .170/.228/.321 overall with six RBI, but he’s only made 58 plate appearances and what he’s accomplished in the field should not be overlooked. To many scouts, the kid has the potential to win multiple Gold Glove awards as a center fielder. He carried a strong enough defensive reputation to bump Torii Hunter over to right field and he’s already shown incredible range as a big-leaguer.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 40
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 44
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months