Aug 22, 2010, 9:39 AM EST
Angels outfielder Peter Bourjos had himself a nice little Saturday. The Halos beat the Twins 9-3 at Minnesota’s Target Field and the the 23-year-old collected a series of firsts.
Called to the big leagues on August 3 and thrown into the fire almost immediately, Bourjos hasn’t been perfect. But he has shown flashes. On Saturday he recorded his first career home run — a two-run shot — and his first triple — which also plated a run.
He also gunned down Twins outfielder Jason Kubel from center field in the fifth inning.
Bourjos is batting just .170/.228/.321 overall with six RBI, but he’s only made 58 plate appearances and what he’s accomplished in the field should not be overlooked. To many scouts, the kid has the potential to win multiple Gold Glove awards as a center fielder. He carried a strong enough defensive reputation to bump Torii Hunter over to right field and he’s already shown incredible range as a big-leaguer.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 54
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 23
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)