Aug 22, 2010, 11:54 AM EDT
Cubs manager Lou Piniella has had enough and is going to step down from his post as the team’s manager after Sunday’s series finale against the Braves. This according to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times.
Third base coach Mike Quade will take over on an interim basis for the rest of 2010.
Piniella announced last month that he planned to retire at the conclusion of this season. The Cubs have been nothing short of awful since he made that decision public, though, and ‘Sweet Lou’ no longer wants to handle the pain. That, and his mother is in bad health and checking in on her would require travel days that Lou figured might distract the team.
There is going to be a big hunt for a new skipper this winter in Chicago and plenty of big names will be thrown around. Sure, the Cubbies haven’t won a World Series in close to 102 years, but the glory of being the man that carries that fan base to the promised land is attractive beyond the multi-million dollar salary. Ryne Sandberg, currently managing the Cubs’ Triple-A affiliate in Iowa, is expected to be a candidate. Quade will also be considered, according to MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat.
Pineilla hoped to lead the Cubs and their massive following to the Fall Classic but did not succeed. He currently stands 316-292 as manager of the Cubs with one game to play. Lou led ‘em to first place finishes in his first two seasons but never past the NLDS.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 48
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)