Aug 22, 2010, 11:54 AM EDT
Cubs manager Lou Piniella has had enough and is going to step down from his post as the team’s manager after Sunday’s series finale against the Braves. This according to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times.
Third base coach Mike Quade will take over on an interim basis for the rest of 2010.
Piniella announced last month that he planned to retire at the conclusion of this season. The Cubs have been nothing short of awful since he made that decision public, though, and ‘Sweet Lou’ no longer wants to handle the pain. That, and his mother is in bad health and checking in on her would require travel days that Lou figured might distract the team.
There is going to be a big hunt for a new skipper this winter in Chicago and plenty of big names will be thrown around. Sure, the Cubbies haven’t won a World Series in close to 102 years, but the glory of being the man that carries that fan base to the promised land is attractive beyond the multi-million dollar salary. Ryne Sandberg, currently managing the Cubs’ Triple-A affiliate in Iowa, is expected to be a candidate. Quade will also be considered, according to MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat.
Pineilla hoped to lead the Cubs and their massive following to the Fall Classic but did not succeed. He currently stands 316-292 as manager of the Cubs with one game to play. Lou led ’em to first place finishes in his first two seasons but never past the NLDS.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 160
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (161)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)