Aug 22, 2010, 11:54 AM EDT
Cubs manager Lou Piniella has had enough and is going to step down from his post as the team’s manager after Sunday’s series finale against the Braves. This according to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times.
Third base coach Mike Quade will take over on an interim basis for the rest of 2010.
Piniella announced last month that he planned to retire at the conclusion of this season. The Cubs have been nothing short of awful since he made that decision public, though, and ‘Sweet Lou’ no longer wants to handle the pain. That, and his mother is in bad health and checking in on her would require travel days that Lou figured might distract the team.
There is going to be a big hunt for a new skipper this winter in Chicago and plenty of big names will be thrown around. Sure, the Cubbies haven’t won a World Series in close to 102 years, but the glory of being the man that carries that fan base to the promised land is attractive beyond the multi-million dollar salary. Ryne Sandberg, currently managing the Cubs’ Triple-A affiliate in Iowa, is expected to be a candidate. Quade will also be considered, according to MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat.
Pineilla hoped to lead the Cubs and their massive following to the Fall Classic but did not succeed. He currently stands 316-292 as manager of the Cubs with one game to play. Lou led ‘em to first place finishes in his first two seasons but never past the NLDS.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)