Aug 22, 2010, 8:52 AM EDT
UPDATE: Scully has decided to return.
8:52 AM: Legendary Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully is scheduled to announce his plans for the future before Sunday’s game against the Reds.
Scully, who has broadcast Dodgers baseball for an absurd total of 61 years, is almost certainly leaning toward retirement. He’s already cut down on the amount of road games that he calls each year, rarely traveling past the Rocky Mountains, and he has been working on a series of one-year contracts for the past several seasons.
It’s tough when legends call it quits, and it’s especially tough when it’s a guy like Scully. He is the best in the business, even at age 82, and there isn’t a broadcaster or Giants fan that would disagree.
Scully spoke to the Los Angeles Times on Saturday night:
“I know what I am going to do and I would imagine the Dodgers will
arrange things so an announcement can be made before [Sunday’s] game,”
said Scully. “I’d like
to do that so everyone hears it at the same time. It’s the proper way to
It sure sounds like he’s going to hang up his microphone for good. If we’re lucky — and it almost feels selfish to hope for it — Scully will give us one final season of flawless storytelling and broadcasting genius.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)