Scully announces future plans: for now, not retiring

Aug 22, 2010, 8:52 AM EDT

Legendary Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully was scheduled to announce his plans for the future before Sunday's game against the Reds. Scully, who has broadcast Dodgers baseball for an absurd total of 61 years...

UPDATE:  Scully has decided to return.

8:52 AM:  Legendary Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully is scheduled to announce his plans for the future before Sunday’s game against the Reds.

Scully, who has broadcast Dodgers baseball for an absurd total of 61 years, is almost certainly leaning toward retirement.  He’s already cut down on the amount of road games that he calls each year, rarely traveling past the Rocky Mountains, and he has been working on a series of one-year contracts for the past several seasons.

It’s tough when legends call it quits, and it’s especially tough when it’s a guy like Scully.  He is the best in the business, even at age 82, and there isn’t a broadcaster or Giants fan that would disagree.

Scully spoke to the Los Angeles Times on Saturday night:

“I know what I am going to do and I would imagine the Dodgers will
arrange things so an announcement can be made before [Sunday's] game,”
said Scully. “I’d like
to do that so everyone hears it at the same time. It’s the proper way to
do it.”

It sure sounds like he’s going to hang up his microphone for good.  If we’re lucky — and it almost feels selfish to hope for it — Scully will give us one final season of flawless storytelling and broadcasting genius.

1. hoopmatch - Aug 22, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Any significance to Scully’s announcement coming when the Dodgers are playing the Reds?

2. Levi Stahl - Aug 22, 2010 at 9:39 AM

I feel very lucky that I’ve been able to use MLB audio for the last ten years or so to listen to a lot of Vin Scully. It’s been such a pleasure.

3. adam - Aug 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Can MLB & Fox sign him just to broadcast the World Series? Not only would we hear the best, we’d get rid of Buck & McCarver. PLEEEEEEEEEASE Vin?

Growing up in Long Beach I had the pleasure of learning about baseball listening to Vin Scully broadcast Dodger games. I had no idea announcers could suck until I moved away.

4. beezo - Aug 22, 2010 at 10:57 AM

4 more years! 4 more years! Please Vin, don’t leave now; you’ve gone 60+ years, whats another 60 more?

5. jtc0200 - Aug 22, 2010 at 4:43 PM

None better!! Just wish they were not playing the reds then I would not get blacked out. They should change the rules to be able to listen to legend!!

6. Mike D fr LV - Aug 23, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Adam, I agree completely…… I’ve been saying for years that Vin would be perfect for the WS and I too am sick of Buck/McCarver!
    In the sports business…. everyone, I mean everyone has heard critics, or talk jocks, or wannabes just wanting to stir up s–t about someone by trashing them, but I have never heard anyone, even the most jaded say anything bad about Vin. He’s definitely one in a million and will hate to see him leave the Dodgers, but I’m sure he could handle booth duties for a few days in Oct/Nov!

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win