Aug 22, 2010, 8:52 AM EDT
UPDATE: Scully has decided to return.
8:52 AM: Legendary Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully is scheduled to announce his plans for the future before Sunday’s game against the Reds.
Scully, who has broadcast Dodgers baseball for an absurd total of 61 years, is almost certainly leaning toward retirement. He’s already cut down on the amount of road games that he calls each year, rarely traveling past the Rocky Mountains, and he has been working on a series of one-year contracts for the past several seasons.
It’s tough when legends call it quits, and it’s especially tough when it’s a guy like Scully. He is the best in the business, even at age 82, and there isn’t a broadcaster or Giants fan that would disagree.
Scully spoke to the Los Angeles Times on Saturday night:
“I know what I am going to do and I would imagine the Dodgers will
arrange things so an announcement can be made before [Sunday's] game,”
said Scully. “I’d like
to do that so everyone hears it at the same time. It’s the proper way to
It sure sounds like he’s going to hang up his microphone for good. If we’re lucky — and it almost feels selfish to hope for it — Scully will give us one final season of flawless storytelling and broadcasting genius.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (122)