Aug 22, 2010, 8:52 AM EST
UPDATE: Scully has decided to return.
8:52 AM: Legendary Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully is scheduled to announce his plans for the future before Sunday’s game against the Reds.
Scully, who has broadcast Dodgers baseball for an absurd total of 61 years, is almost certainly leaning toward retirement. He’s already cut down on the amount of road games that he calls each year, rarely traveling past the Rocky Mountains, and he has been working on a series of one-year contracts for the past several seasons.
It’s tough when legends call it quits, and it’s especially tough when it’s a guy like Scully. He is the best in the business, even at age 82, and there isn’t a broadcaster or Giants fan that would disagree.
Scully spoke to the Los Angeles Times on Saturday night:
“I know what I am going to do and I would imagine the Dodgers will
arrange things so an announcement can be made before [Sunday's] game,”
said Scully. “I’d like
to do that so everyone hears it at the same time. It’s the proper way to
It sure sounds like he’s going to hang up his microphone for good. If we’re lucky — and it almost feels selfish to hope for it — Scully will give us one final season of flawless storytelling and broadcasting genius.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 65
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)