What they're saying about Lou Piniella's retirement…

Aug 22, 2010, 6:01 PM EST

Cubs manager Lou Piniella got the opportunity to explain his sudden retirement before Sunday’s game against the Braves.  It’s more about his sick mother than his frustration with the Cubs’ play, and many folks are sharing great ‘Sweet Lou’ stories this afternoon.

Here is a bit of Piniella’s statement, via Dave van Dyck of the Chicago Tribune:

“When I previously announced my intentions to retire at the end of the
season, a primary reason for my decision was that it would allow me to
spend more valuable time with my family. That time has unfortunately
gotten here sooner than I could have ever expected.

I couldn’t be more appreciative of the Cubs
organization for providing me the opportunity to be their manager.  I
wouldn’t trade this experience for anything in the world and I consider
this the ultimate way to end my managerial career.”

And some reactions to Lou’s departure:

* Greg Johns of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer has a Mariners perspective: “Piniella is remembered by M’s fans for more than just the wins,” writes Johns.
“His emotional outbursts on the field were legendary, but even more
important was his presence and leadership for a franchise desperately in
need of both.”

* Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com believes that the timing is right for a new manager in Chicago.  But he will remember Piniella with fond memories.  “Sweet Lou provided so many fun moments for fans across all the country,” writes Rosenthal, “
entertaining us with his classic ejections and rants, not to mention
winning baseball.”

* Adam McCalvy of MLB.com passes along some kind words from Brewers manager Ken Macha.  The two were rivals in the AL West for a while.  “Lou and I talked quite a bit over the years that I managed,” Macha
said. “I said this when he announced his retirement, that I admire the
guys who have done this job for that long, [like] Bobby Cox and [Joe]
Torre. This is not an easy job.”

* Cubs starter Ryan Dempster told the Chicago Tribune that he is said to see Piniella go, but also that he understands the reasoning behind the sudden departure: “Dealing with family issues and
dealing with your mom are something none us ever want to go through,” Dempster
said. “I’m happy for him he gets to go be with her.
  Obviously, the season didn’t
go like we wanted it to but the most important thing is family and he gets to
be with his mom and be around her.”

1. SDelMonte - Aug 22, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Best wishes to Lou and his mother. His place in baseball history is secure, and he makes one last move that is hard to disagree with.

2. nps6724 - Aug 22, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Sucks for Lou. His season began losing 16-5 to the Braves with Jason Heyward hitting a HR and knocking in 4. And it ends losing 16-5 to the Braves with Jason Heyward hitting 2 HRs and knocking in 4.

Hopefully everything with his mother goes well and he can enjoy his retirement.

3. walk - Aug 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I forget the name but one of the cubs management was talking to the braves announcers when aramis ramirez homered. He said they had been asking lou to stand down for about six weeks now. Since the first time his mother had gotten sick. Lou was commited to his job though and stayed as long as he could. Good luck Lou, as with all the best you were one of a kind. I will pray for your mother, god bless sir.

4. Shawon-O-Meter - Aug 22, 2010 at 7:59 PM

I wish Lou the best with his family. As far as managing the Cubs, I wish he would’ve left sooner.

5. Pacific NW Mark - Aug 22, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Best wishes to Lou and his family. As a Seattle baseball fan, he gave us the best years of the Mariners franchise, and the impact and legacy he left in this corner of the country won’t be forgotten. Godspeed.

6. Ditto65 - Aug 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM

All of baseball that I have known has included Lou. My first memories of baseball include Lou with the Yankees. I remember the 77 & 78 WS; cheering for him when he won with the Reds; managed the M’s; took on the duties in Tampa. I thought he was the one to bring an end to Chicago’s curse. I will miss his passion for the game – bseball as I know it always included Lou. As a life-long Yankees fan, Lou always has a special place in my heart. I wish him the best, and only hope that baseball will mean the same to me after Lou as it did with Lou.
    God Bless.

7. Crazimitch - Aug 23, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Lou you are a Quitter! You were handed over a dozen great teams and one exactly one WS. You were an average manager at best.

8. Jonny5 - Aug 23, 2010 at 9:25 AM

You know listening to these “heart warming” stories, I think it’s kind of funny how “sweet Lou” get’s tossed from games, freaks out, and acts out like an ass on the field, and it’s endearing, and people like him for it. Then on the other hand Milton Bradley, and Torre Hunter are dirt bags that ruin the game for the same type of behavior. What’s up with that?

9. BC - Aug 23, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Gonna miss him going Vesuvius on the field, and pitching 1st base into the outfield. Best of luck, Lou.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester