Adding Damon would be too little, too late for Red Sox

Aug 23, 2010, 7:10 PM EST

The Red Sox pretty obviously have a need for Johnny Damon. No, mediocre defensive left fielders with 764 OPSs aren’t particularly valuable, but Damon is getting on base 36 percent of the time and he’d likely improve his numbers with a return to Fenway Park, where he’s a career .305/.376/.440 hitter.
Damon, though, probably doesn’t need Boston. Sure, the Red Sox are stil theoretically in contention for a playoff spot, while the Tigers are clearly dead in the water, but it’s highly unlikely that the Boston will make up 5 1/2 games on the Rays or 6 1/2 on the Yankees with just 37 games remaining.
And Damon isn’t the kind of player who would affect their chances much one way or the other. For one thing, they’ve actually gotten steady production from the likes of Bill Hall and Darnell McDonald in the outfield. Damon, who would replace either Ryan Kalish or Daniel Nava on the roster, would only be an upgrade against right-handers and probably not a particularly big one. He wouldn’t deserve to play over either Hall or McDonald against left-handers.
For that reason, Damon is probably better off staying where he is. The Tigers are going to keep playing him every day, and they could well have interest in re-signing him this winter. There’s very little chance the Red Sox would attempt to bring him back in 2011.
Damon doesn’t exactly control his own destiny here: the Tigers have the right to pull him back off waivers even if he says he wants to go to Boston. Damon, though, can’t be moved with his approval. He has until Wednesday to decide if he wants out, and it sounds like he’ll probably take his 48 hours to decide.

1. basiltherat - Aug 23, 2010 at 9:11 PM

In 2004 a friend of mine, who’s a Red Sox fan, and I got together to watch Game 3 of the ALCS. Afterward my friend started to congratulate me and ask how I thought the Yankees would do against the Cards or the Astros and I stopped him and said, “You know, one of these days, SOMEONE is going to come back from 3-0 in the playoffs.”
    I will never, ever, ever count out the Red Sox. Ever.

2. Old Gator - Aug 23, 2010 at 9:21 PM

That’s too bad. You’re missing out on one of the great pleasures that life affords.

3. basiltherat - Aug 23, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I know, and believe me, I wish I could. But let’s face it — coming back from 6.5 in August wouldn’t be unprecedented.

4. Pisano - Aug 24, 2010 at 12:27 AM

basiltherat , you must also believe in the tooth fairy . I’m going to be kind : IT”S OVER!!!!!

5. Old Gator - Aug 24, 2010 at 12:42 AM

That’s funny. My granddaughter just lost a baby tooth and it cost me a buck (yeah, a buck – it hasn’t been a quarter for a long time now). The burrowing larva of the tooth fairy did its work again. But our honorable interlocutor and residually (if not congenitally) shellshocked Borg fan is right: six point five ain’t nothing if one team gets hot and another gets cold, which has been known to happen. Does the name “Bucky Dent” ring any bells?
    Speaking of too little too late, why not send Damon to the Cubs? They’re always in the market for too little, too late.

6. Jonny5 - Aug 24, 2010 at 8:59 AM

6.5 games back is far from a coffin nail with 37 games left. it wasn’t so long ago that a team took the division lead 7 games back with 17 to go……. Then again, it was the Mutts who had the lead and lost it.

7. BC - Aug 24, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Shoot me now, please.
    Next thing you know, Nomar will come back to the Sox. The planets will align. Cats and dogs will live together. And the $$#%!@! Red Sox Nation will awaken.
    And of course face the Feesh in the World Series.
    Bleh.

8. BC - Aug 24, 2010 at 9:56 AM

You HAD to bring that up???!! You HAD to???!!!! Thanks so much!!

9. Jonny5 - Aug 24, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Hey, I wouldn’t normally do that BC , but this is very relevant to this post. No offense to Matt P or anything but anyone who follows baseball should know 6.5 games back with 37 to go isn’t that big of a lead. It sure as hell isn’t a sign to just give up now. Baaahhhstan fans won’t give up hoping to improve and catch the lead in the division, so why should management? I think it’s ridiculous to imply, and all I had to say was “7 games back with 17 to go” and it says all that and more.

10. BC - Aug 24, 2010 at 10:53 AM

7 up with 17 to go…. Gosh darnit… now you have me running for the Nardil again…. thanks! :-p

11. Jonny5 - Aug 24, 2010 at 11:30 AM

LOL!! :>P

12. David - Aug 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I just looked it up, and Damon has a pretty significant reverse platoon split. Just saying, the points in the article don’t make too much sense

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester