Aug 23, 2010, 2:48 PM EST
When last we heard from Brandon Webb he was aiming to return from shoulder surgery in time to make 6-8 starts this season, but yesterday the rehabbing right-hander said his goal is now to simply pitch this season, period.
One time or 10, whatever I can get. Hopefully, I’ll pitch the last game of the season if that’s what I get. All along, I’ve had motivation, but as time lapses on … I realize it more, so I’m going to do what I can to get out there.
Webb hasn’t pitched since Opening Day of last season and his return timetable has been pushed back frequently since then. Pretty soon going on a rehab assignment will no longer be an option because the minor league season is ending, so simulated games will have to suffice.
Webb is being paid $8.5 million this season after the Diamondbacks picked up their team option rather than let him become a free agent.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)