Aug 23, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
When last we heard from Brandon Webb he was aiming to return from shoulder surgery in time to make 6-8 starts this season, but yesterday the rehabbing right-hander said his goal is now to simply pitch this season, period.
One time or 10, whatever I can get. Hopefully, I’ll pitch the last game of the season if that’s what I get. All along, I’ve had motivation, but as time lapses on … I realize it more, so I’m going to do what I can to get out there.
Webb hasn’t pitched since Opening Day of last season and his return timetable has been pushed back frequently since then. Pretty soon going on a rehab assignment will no longer be an option because the minor league season is ending, so simulated games will have to suffice.
Webb is being paid $8.5 million this season after the Diamondbacks picked up their team option rather than let him become a free agent.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)