Aug 23, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
When last we heard from Brandon Webb he was aiming to return from shoulder surgery in time to make 6-8 starts this season, but yesterday the rehabbing right-hander said his goal is now to simply pitch this season, period.
One time or 10, whatever I can get. Hopefully, I’ll pitch the last game of the season if that’s what I get. All along, I’ve had motivation, but as time lapses on … I realize it more, so I’m going to do what I can to get out there.
Webb hasn’t pitched since Opening Day of last season and his return timetable has been pushed back frequently since then. Pretty soon going on a rehab assignment will no longer be an option because the minor league season is ending, so simulated games will have to suffice.
Webb is being paid $8.5 million this season after the Diamondbacks picked up their team option rather than let him become a free agent.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)