Aug 23, 2010, 10:46 PM EDT
UPDATE: Party’s over, folks. With one out in the ninth, Joe Mauer broke up the no-hit bid with a hard hit single up the middle, just beyond the outstretched glove of Elvis Andrus. It was the only hit the Rangers would allow in a 4-0 win over the Twins.
It spoiled what would have been the first combined no-no since six Astros no-hit the Yankees on June 11, 2003. It’s a bummer, but Rangers fans have to be highly encouraged by what they saw from Harden tonight.
10:26 PM: Darren O’Day just sat down the Twins 1-2-3 in the top of the eighth, including back-to-back strikeouts of Danny Valencia and J.J. Hardy. O’Day, Matt Harrison and Rich Harden have combined for eight no-hit innings against the Twins. Neftali Feliz will come on in the ninth for a chance at history.
10:06 PM: Rich Harden left tonight’s start against the Twins after tossing 6 2/3 hitless innings. The Rangers played it safe and we ended up seeing a situation very similar to Kevin Slowey being pulled after seven hitless innings earlier this month.
Harden, who was just activated from the disabled list after a recent bout with shoulder tendinitis, was at 111 pitches at the time. Never the most efficient of pitchers, Harden struck out six and walked five before exiting the ballgame.
Harden threw 101 pitches in a rehab start with Triple-A Oklahoma City last Wednesday, so he was certainly stretched out, but remember that the Rangers have designs on the postseason. Harden has been a major bust this season, but it’s hard to question his upside when healthy. It’s for the greater good.
On the bright side for Rangers fans, Matt Harrison got Jim Thome to line out to center field to end the inning, so they still have the no-hitter going. Stay tuned for more.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)