Aug 23, 2010, 10:46 PM EDT
UPDATE: Party’s over, folks. With one out in the ninth, Joe Mauer broke up the no-hit bid with a hard hit single up the middle, just beyond the outstretched glove of Elvis Andrus. It was the only hit the Rangers would allow in a 4-0 win over the Twins.
It spoiled what would have been the first combined no-no since six Astros no-hit the Yankees on June 11, 2003. It’s a bummer, but Rangers fans have to be highly encouraged by what they saw from Harden tonight.
10:26 PM: Darren O’Day just sat down the Twins 1-2-3 in the top of the eighth, including back-to-back strikeouts of Danny Valencia and J.J. Hardy. O’Day, Matt Harrison and Rich Harden have combined for eight no-hit innings against the Twins. Neftali Feliz will come on in the ninth for a chance at history.
10:06 PM: Rich Harden left tonight’s start against the Twins after tossing 6 2/3 hitless innings. The Rangers played it safe and we ended up seeing a situation very similar to Kevin Slowey being pulled after seven hitless innings earlier this month.
Harden, who was just activated from the disabled list after a recent bout with shoulder tendinitis, was at 111 pitches at the time. Never the most efficient of pitchers, Harden struck out six and walked five before exiting the ballgame.
Harden threw 101 pitches in a rehab start with Triple-A Oklahoma City last Wednesday, so he was certainly stretched out, but remember that the Rangers have designs on the postseason. Harden has been a major bust this season, but it’s hard to question his upside when healthy. It’s for the greater good.
On the bright side for Rangers fans, Matt Harrison got Jim Thome to line out to center field to end the inning, so they still have the no-hitter going. Stay tuned for more.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)