Aug 23, 2010, 10:46 PM EST
UPDATE: Party’s over, folks. With one out in the ninth, Joe Mauer broke up the no-hit bid with a hard hit single up the middle, just beyond the outstretched glove of Elvis Andrus. It was the only hit the Rangers would allow in a 4-0 win over the Twins.
It spoiled what would have been the first combined no-no since six Astros no-hit the Yankees on June 11, 2003. It’s a bummer, but Rangers fans have to be highly encouraged by what they saw from Harden tonight.
10:26 PM: Darren O’Day just sat down the Twins 1-2-3 in the top of the eighth, including back-to-back strikeouts of Danny Valencia and J.J. Hardy. O’Day, Matt Harrison and Rich Harden have combined for eight no-hit innings against the Twins. Neftali Feliz will come on in the ninth for a chance at history.
10:06 PM: Rich Harden left tonight’s start against the Twins after tossing 6 2/3 hitless innings. The Rangers played it safe and we ended up seeing a situation very similar to Kevin Slowey being pulled after seven hitless innings earlier this month.
Harden, who was just activated from the disabled list after a recent bout with shoulder tendinitis, was at 111 pitches at the time. Never the most efficient of pitchers, Harden struck out six and walked five before exiting the ballgame.
Harden threw 101 pitches in a rehab start with Triple-A Oklahoma City last Wednesday, so he was certainly stretched out, but remember that the Rangers have designs on the postseason. Harden has been a major bust this season, but it’s hard to question his upside when healthy. It’s for the greater good.
On the bright side for Rangers fans, Matt Harrison got Jim Thome to line out to center field to end the inning, so they still have the no-hitter going. Stay tuned for more.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)