Aug 23, 2010, 8:06 PM EDT
Athletics assistant general manager David Forst confirmed to Jane Lee of MLB.com today that Conor Jackson will undergo surgery to repair a sports hernia next week.
Jackson told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle on Sunday that he was “99 percent sure” that he had a sports hernia, so this new doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Frankly, no injury with Jackson does. Dr. William Meyers, who examined him over the weekend, will perform the surgery on September 1. It will almost certainly be season-ending, but Jackson is fully-expected to be ready for spring training next season.
The 28-year-old outfielder/first baseman has batted just .236/.336/.327 with two home runs and 16 RBI in 208 at-bats between the Diamondbacks and Athletics this season. Jackson was acquired from the D-Backs in June, however he has only been able to play in 16 games with Oakland, mostly due to a lengthy absence with a hamstring injury.
The former 2003 first-round pick barely survived being non-tendered by the Diamondbacks last December after missing most of the 2009 season due to valley fever, but he should be looking for new employment this winter.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 36
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 211
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (211)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)