Aug 23, 2010, 11:16 AM EDT
Following in Billy Wagner’s footsteps rather than Brett Favre’s footsteps, Mike Lowell reiterated yesterday that he still plans to retire after the season despite getting regular playing time recently in place of the injured Kevin Youkilis.
Am I personally enjoying it? Of course. That’s obvious. I have more fun playing than not playing. Yeah, it’s been much more enjoyable knowing your name’s being written in. I’m pretty much set in knowing what I’m going to do after this year. It will be fun. It will be fun enjoying my kids.
If reasonably healthy Lowell could almost surely stick around for another season or two as a part-time player, but at age 36 and with about $80 million in career earnings it’s tough to blame him for wanting to call it quits.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)