Aug 23, 2010, 11:16 AM EDT
Following in Billy Wagner’s footsteps rather than Brett Favre’s footsteps, Mike Lowell reiterated yesterday that he still plans to retire after the season despite getting regular playing time recently in place of the injured Kevin Youkilis.
Am I personally enjoying it? Of course. That’s obvious. I have more fun playing than not playing. Yeah, it’s been much more enjoyable knowing your name’s being written in. I’m pretty much set in knowing what I’m going to do after this year. It will be fun. It will be fun enjoying my kids.
If reasonably healthy Lowell could almost surely stick around for another season or two as a part-time player, but at age 36 and with about $80 million in career earnings it’s tough to blame him for wanting to call it quits.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 36
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (92)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)