Aug 23, 2010, 11:16 AM EDT
Following in Billy Wagner’s footsteps rather than Brett Favre’s footsteps, Mike Lowell reiterated yesterday that he still plans to retire after the season despite getting regular playing time recently in place of the injured Kevin Youkilis.
Am I personally enjoying it? Of course. That’s obvious. I have more fun playing than not playing. Yeah, it’s been much more enjoyable knowing your name’s being written in. I’m pretty much set in knowing what I’m going to do after this year. It will be fun. It will be fun enjoying my kids.
If reasonably healthy Lowell could almost surely stick around for another season or two as a part-time player, but at age 36 and with about $80 million in career earnings it’s tough to blame him for wanting to call it quits.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)