Aug 23, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
Second baseman Ian Kinsler still needs to be cleared to return, but he’s hoping to begin a rehab assignment this week after undergoing an MRI Tuesday that could pave the way for him to resume baseball activities.
Kinsler has been on the DL since the end of June with a strained left groin.
According to ESPNDallas.com, Kinsler has so far only taken grounders hit right to him. He’s yet to try ranging to his right or left and he hasn’t taken batting practice. Still, if he’s cleared by doctors, he’d like to start playing in games right away.
With Kinsler out, the Rangers have played Andres Blanco and Joaquin Arias at second base. They recently signed Alex Cora to a minor league deal, but they’ve yet to try him at the spot.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)