Aug 23, 2010, 6:50 PM EST
After four days in the hospital with an infected leg, Jarrod Saltalamacchia rejoined the Red Sox at Fenway Park on Monday and played catch on the field.
“I feel fine,” he told the Providence Journal. “I’m just getting my body back into it. But it’s going to take a day or two for that.”
The cause of Salty’s infection still isn’t clear, but IV antibiotics administered over the weekend appear to have taken care of it.
“They said that the only way they’d be able to find out what it is or where I got it is if I had surgery,” he said. “Luckily, the antibiotics worked so I didn’t have to do that. … They said they were close to doing surgery just because of how bad it looked.”
Saltalamacchia is expected to play for Triple-A Pawtucket this weekend. He isn’t eligible to come off the DL until Aug. 31, which means he’ll most likely be activated when roster expand on Sept. 1.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 6
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 8
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)