Aug 23, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
After four days in the hospital with an infected leg, Jarrod Saltalamacchia rejoined the Red Sox at Fenway Park on Monday and played catch on the field.
“I feel fine,” he told the Providence Journal. “I’m just getting my body back into it. But it’s going to take a day or two for that.”
The cause of Salty’s infection still isn’t clear, but IV antibiotics administered over the weekend appear to have taken care of it.
“They said that the only way they’d be able to find out what it is or where I got it is if I had surgery,” he said. “Luckily, the antibiotics worked so I didn’t have to do that. … They said they were close to doing surgery just because of how bad it looked.”
Saltalamacchia is expected to play for Triple-A Pawtucket this weekend. He isn’t eligible to come off the DL until Aug. 31, which means he’ll most likely be activated when roster expand on Sept. 1.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)