Aug 23, 2010, 6:50 PM EST
After four days in the hospital with an infected leg, Jarrod Saltalamacchia rejoined the Red Sox at Fenway Park on Monday and played catch on the field.
“I feel fine,” he told the Providence Journal. “I’m just getting my body back into it. But it’s going to take a day or two for that.”
The cause of Salty’s infection still isn’t clear, but IV antibiotics administered over the weekend appear to have taken care of it.
“They said that the only way they’d be able to find out what it is or where I got it is if I had surgery,” he said. “Luckily, the antibiotics worked so I didn’t have to do that. … They said they were close to doing surgery just because of how bad it looked.”
Saltalamacchia is expected to play for Triple-A Pawtucket this weekend. He isn’t eligible to come off the DL until Aug. 31, which means he’ll most likely be activated when roster expand on Sept. 1.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (98)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)