Aug 23, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
After four days in the hospital with an infected leg, Jarrod Saltalamacchia rejoined the Red Sox at Fenway Park on Monday and played catch on the field.
“I feel fine,” he told the Providence Journal. “I’m just getting my body back into it. But it’s going to take a day or two for that.”
The cause of Salty’s infection still isn’t clear, but IV antibiotics administered over the weekend appear to have taken care of it.
“They said that the only way they’d be able to find out what it is or where I got it is if I had surgery,” he said. “Luckily, the antibiotics worked so I didn’t have to do that. … They said they were close to doing surgery just because of how bad it looked.”
Saltalamacchia is expected to play for Triple-A Pawtucket this weekend. He isn’t eligible to come off the DL until Aug. 31, which means he’ll most likely be activated when roster expand on Sept. 1.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte