Aug 23, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
After four days in the hospital with an infected leg, Jarrod Saltalamacchia rejoined the Red Sox at Fenway Park on Monday and played catch on the field.
“I feel fine,” he told the Providence Journal. “I’m just getting my body back into it. But it’s going to take a day or two for that.”
The cause of Salty’s infection still isn’t clear, but IV antibiotics administered over the weekend appear to have taken care of it.
“They said that the only way they’d be able to find out what it is or where I got it is if I had surgery,” he said. “Luckily, the antibiotics worked so I didn’t have to do that. … They said they were close to doing surgery just because of how bad it looked.”
Saltalamacchia is expected to play for Triple-A Pawtucket this weekend. He isn’t eligible to come off the DL until Aug. 31, which means he’ll most likely be activated when roster expand on Sept. 1.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 28
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 44
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 39
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)