Aug 23, 2010, 5:12 PM EDT
According to Jason Beck of MLB.com the Tigers have informed Johnny Damon that the Red Sox are indeed the team that placed a waiver claim on him and the veteran outfielder is now deciding whether or not he’d accept the move.
Damon has the Red Sox on the list of teams he can’t be traded or assigned to, so even if the two sides are able to work out a deal or the Tigers simply conclude they’re willing to dump his salary without receiving anything in return he has the ability to veto.
Things could get interesting if Damon decides he wouldn’t mind a return to Boston and the Tigers decide freeing up the $2 million he’s still owed this season is enough value to let him go, but short of that my guess is the Red Sox placed the claim primarily to block the Yankees and Rays from getting a crack at him.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)