Aug 23, 2010, 8:51 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, the judge on the Roger Clemens perjury case has issued a gag order prohibiting “public comments by the principles in the case.”
It’s about time.
U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton is worried that lawyers (that means you Rusty Hardin) and potential witnesses (and you Brian McNamee) could affect the jury pool by spouting off to the media. After all, it would be a shame to spend all this time putting a trial together and then not be able to find any acceptable jurors, because there are some people out there who don’t know anything about Roger Clemens and his alleged steroid use, right?
“Further action in violation of this admonition will be confronted of the full authority of the Court,” Walton wrote in the order that covers “the parties, any potential witnesses, and counsel for those parties and witnesses.”
Clearly this judge, who presided over the “Scooter” Libby trial, means business.
So since we won’t be receiving anymore great quotes from Hardin, Clemens and the gang, here are a few of the most recent comments from key figures to keep you occupied until the trial starts:
Clemens: “We’re going to deal with it, guys, I don’t really know what else to say. We’re going to deal with it and have our day.”
Hardin: “The government made a recommendation [for a plea agreement] and we declined. I will tell you the recommendation they made was a very good one if he was guilty. And if he was guilty we would have jumped on it.”
Jose Canseco: “There’s got to be better ways to spend taxpayer money.”
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)