Aug 23, 2010, 8:51 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, the judge on the Roger Clemens perjury case has issued a gag order prohibiting “public comments by the principles in the case.”
It’s about time.
U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton is worried that lawyers (that means you Rusty Hardin) and potential witnesses (and you Brian McNamee) could affect the jury pool by spouting off to the media. After all, it would be a shame to spend all this time putting a trial together and then not be able to find any acceptable jurors, because there are some people out there who don’t know anything about Roger Clemens and his alleged steroid use, right?
“Further action in violation of this admonition will be confronted of the full authority of the Court,” Walton wrote in the order that covers “the parties, any potential witnesses, and counsel for those parties and witnesses.”
Clearly this judge, who presided over the “Scooter” Libby trial, means business.
So since we won’t be receiving anymore great quotes from Hardin, Clemens and the gang, here are a few of the most recent comments from key figures to keep you occupied until the trial starts:
Clemens: “We’re going to deal with it, guys, I don’t really know what else to say. We’re going to deal with it and have our day.”
Hardin: “The government made a recommendation [for a plea agreement] and we declined. I will tell you the recommendation they made was a very good one if he was guilty. And if he was guilty we would have jumped on it.”
Jose Canseco: “There’s got to be better ways to spend taxpayer money.”
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)