Aug 23, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Yesterday the Cubs sent manager Lou Piniella off with a blowout loss, which is either sad given his excellent (and possibly Hall of Fame) career or fitting given how bad the Cubs have been all season.
Either way, the boys over at The Platoon Advantage put together a lengthy, interesting look at the final games of Hall of Fame managers, plus a follow-up post on what caused those managers to retire.
It’s really good stuff, so check it out.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 60
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 142
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 55
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)