Aug 23, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Yesterday the Cubs sent manager Lou Piniella off with a blowout loss, which is either sad given his excellent (and possibly Hall of Fame) career or fitting given how bad the Cubs have been all season.
Either way, the boys over at The Platoon Advantage put together a lengthy, interesting look at the final games of Hall of Fame managers, plus a follow-up post on what caused those managers to retire.
It’s really good stuff, so check it out.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 23
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 92
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)