Aug 23, 2010, 11:02 AM EST
Ricky Nolasco was diagnosed with a torn right meniscus over the weekend and scratched from his scheduled Sunday start in favor of Andrew Miller. With such a serious diagnosis, and with the Marlins well out of contention, it felt like Nolasco might be done for the season. But, alas, he could be ready to pitch again by Saturday.
Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald reports that Nolasco will play catch on Monday and throw a bullpen session on Wednesday. If those go well, he is likely to be cleared to start against the first-place Braves this weekend.
“He wants to pitch, and he says he’s feeling much better the last two
days,” manager Edwin Rodriguez said. “At this point of the season, pretty much
everybody’s hurt. Nobody’s 100 percent. If he says he’s 90, 95 percent, I
think it’s good enough.”
Nolasco, 27, struggled through the first half of the season but he’s limited opponents to a .237 batting average and has racked up 53 strikeouts in 45 innings since mid-July. Through 25 total starts this season, he owns a 14-8 record, a 4.22 ERA, a 1.23 WHIP and 147 strikeouts.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 43
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 36
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)