Rob Dibble tells Stephen Strasburg to "suck it up"

Aug 23, 2010, 9:42 PM EDT

Don’t act so surprised. We all knew this was coming. During an appearance on Sirius XM’s MLB Network Radio this afternoon, Rob Dibble essentially called out Stephen Strasburg for being a wimp.

I didn’t hear it as it happened, but Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post was nice enough to transcribe it all for us. I recommend you read the whole thing for the full context of Dibble’s remarks, but here’s just a taste.

“Ok, you throw a pitch, it bothers your arm, and you immediately call out the manager and the trainer? Suck it up, kid. This is your profession. You chose to be a baseball player. You can’t have the cavalry come in and save your butt every time you feel a little stiff shoulder, sore elbow.”

He continued:

“What Mike Rizzo and Jim Riggleman do, that’s totally different,” Dibble said. “They have to think of the long-term ramifications of what they’re doing right now with this kid’s career. As far as this kid? Stop crying, go out there and pitch. Period.”

“This is the major leagues. This is not college any more. You’re not on scholarship. You’re being paid to do the job and guys depend on you, and I think it’s unfortunate that the Nationals and the team are in a situation here where this kid now, he feels any kind of arm pain, he’s gonna call you out? That’s scary to me.”

“You give these guys $15 million bucks, please,” he said. “Get your butt out there and play every fifth day.”

Yes, this from a guy, who as Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post points out, never threw more than 99 innings in a season. Between the minors and majors this season, Strasburg has thrown 123 innings.

The funny part about this whole thing is that I’m watching the MASN broadcast of the Nats-Cubs game right now and Dibble hasn’t said one harsh word in regards to Strasburg. Of course, he was already on thin ice for the knuckle-dragging comments he recently made about some women “talking” behind home plate, so his restraint is almost certainly calculated.

Frankly, I couldn’t be any happier that he continues to put his foot in his mouth, whether on MASN or Sirius XM. Living in the D.C. area, I’m forced to watch him anytime I want to watch a Nationals game. Call me an eternal optimist, but hopefully a few more moronic comments will eventually put him out of a job. At this rate, he’s probably due by the ninth inning tonight.

1. Buccofan - Aug 23, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Rob Dibble being a moron is not new and hardly news. He is typical of today’s “expert” commentators and “analysts” in that he mistakes being outrageous and often idiotic for being good.

2. go dawgs...sic em - Aug 23, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Rob Dibble doesn’t represent commentators/analysts today. His comments are made to get attention and have people listen to him. He knows that his baseball analysis won’t get the job done so instead he makes absurd statements to get attention. Just this season he challenged another broadcaster (I believe an Orioles one) to a fight in the parking lot because they were having a dumb argument in the press box. Either way this guy is a moron and needs to be canned. Give me 2 days and I can find a better “baseball analyst” than this clown.

3. jde - Aug 23, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Wow, this is stunningly stupid. Did anybody hear this? Was he on as a guest? If so, did the host respond to this in any way?

4. Howie Handles - Aug 24, 2010 at 12:26 AM

I’ve never liked Rob Dibble. Always struck me as the stereotypical blowhard athlete. At least he was smart enough to say that the manager and GM would still have to do what they have to do, but Dibble is an idiot.

5. kpweaver27 - Aug 24, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Who out there likes Dibble? Is there a market for his BS at all?

6. Old Gator - Aug 24, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Do you think Rob Dibble could be Jim Bunning’s boy toy?

7. jde - Aug 24, 2010 at 5:02 AM

8. Jonny5 - Aug 24, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Strausberg did not call these guys out to the mound. S.S. threw a pitch then winced, then the calvary came running out to the mound right away. You could see him argue to stay in the game too. Does anyone even doubt that this young pup has no say in the decision if he leaves the game or goes on the DL or not?

9. dagodfather - Aug 24, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Dibble maybe a blowhard and he may suck at his job but he is correct. This kid needs to grow a pair. If he’s supposed to be the future of the Nationals and I were a Nats fan, I would be worried. How is he supposed to help the franchise win when he is always on the D.L.?

10. BC - Aug 24, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Second the motion.

11. BC - Aug 24, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Dibble is a complete a$$. He got himself thrown off ESPN and the Dan Patrick show. And the hits just don’t stop coming. Effing buffoon.

12. mike wants wins - Aug 24, 2010 at 9:28 AM

So, if a player is hurt, he should just keep playing, and likely hurt himself more? That’s some old-skewl thinking that isn’t likely good for his long term health.

13. Joe - Aug 24, 2010 at 9:53 AM

The Nationals aren’t going to “win” anything this year, so how is his potentially compounding an injury by pitching through it this year going to help them win in the future?

14. YANKEES1996 - Aug 24, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Rob Dibble and Tim McCarver, now there is a pair that would not be missed. I not sure I can remember anything good coming out of either one of their mouths.

15. Jonny5 - Aug 24, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Couldn’t disagree more. The nats are a team I root for when they aren’t playing Philly. This guy is the key to this teams future, which if you haven’t noticed hasn’t started yet. They need him, just not now. This kid is a pitcher who is an ace in the making, he needs time to adjust to his new work load. I’d have pulled him too. He’s already surpassed his season high in innings pitched (correct me if I’m wrong). He just needs more time to get himself up the point where he can come out, pitch 7 innings every 5th day and not get hurt. To overwork him now without being a contender is just foolish. Dibble giving this kid grief is also very foolish. Say he takes it to heart and hides an injury to prove he “grew a set”, then blows his arm out for good?

16. sooner75 - Aug 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I dislike a lot of announcers because the talk too much! Ex-players are notorious for trying to show their ‘baseball knowledge’ by contantly one-upping the real commentator and comparing everything to their career, how short or boring it might have been! The average baseball fan can only take so much of a former pitcher trying explain every pitch and their ANALysis of the pitching performanace. PLEASE SOMEBODY SHUT THESE GUYS UP!
    I miss a lot of things I would like to hear in the game because by the 3rd or 4th inning I have the mute button on. Because of MLB’s blackout rules, I am forced to watch the MASN broadcast when my favorite team plays the Nationals. Dibble is one of the worst! The entire game is watched with the mute button on. If sports channels are going to insist on hiring former players, they should make them attend classes to learn the basics of sports casting. Its takes more than having played the game to be a good sportscaster or ANALyist as they prefer to be called.

17. BC - Aug 24, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Greatest moment in TV history was Deion Sanders dumping a bucket of water on McCarver. Awesome.

18. Hammy - Aug 25, 2010 at 7:43 AM

As a longtime Reds fan, I remember what being an idiot, “sucking it up” and pitching with an injury did for Dibble’s career. Apparently he does not.

Three legends off to Cooperstown