Aug 23, 2010, 5:55 PM EST
Jim Riggleman said this afternoon that Stephen Strasburg is all but certain to be placed on the disabled list and a short time later general manager Mike Rizzo revealed that an MRI exam has confirmed the initial diagnosis of a strained flexor tendon in his right forearm.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Jordan Zimmermann is expected to replace him in the rotation beginning with Thursday’s start. Prior to Strasburg’s arrival Zimmermann was Washington’s top pitching prospect, but he’s coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery and hasn’t pitched for the Nationals since June of last season.
He fared very well while rehabbing in the minors, posting a 1.59 ERA, .193 opponents’ batting average, and 31/6 K/BB ratio in 39.2 innings, and if healthy projects as the Nationals’ long-term No. 2 starter behind (a hopefully also healthy) Strasburg.
Rizzo wouldn’t rule out Strasburg pitching again this season, which is obviously a very good sign, but at this point there’s seemingly zero reason for him to take the mound again before 2011.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)