Aug 23, 2010, 5:55 PM EST
Jim Riggleman said this afternoon that Stephen Strasburg is all but certain to be placed on the disabled list and a short time later general manager Mike Rizzo revealed that an MRI exam has confirmed the initial diagnosis of a strained flexor tendon in his right forearm.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Jordan Zimmermann is expected to replace him in the rotation beginning with Thursday’s start. Prior to Strasburg’s arrival Zimmermann was Washington’s top pitching prospect, but he’s coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery and hasn’t pitched for the Nationals since June of last season.
He fared very well while rehabbing in the minors, posting a 1.59 ERA, .193 opponents’ batting average, and 31/6 K/BB ratio in 39.2 innings, and if healthy projects as the Nationals’ long-term No. 2 starter behind (a hopefully also healthy) Strasburg.
Rizzo wouldn’t rule out Strasburg pitching again this season, which is obviously a very good sign, but at this point there’s seemingly zero reason for him to take the mound again before 2011.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)