Aug 24, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
Carlos Guillen is eligible to return from the disabled list on August 31, but said yesterday that he’s still experiencing “sharp pain” in his bruised left knee. “Right now, it’s not good,” Guillen told Jason Beck of MLB.com.
Guillen guessed that he’s at least two weeks from potentially rejoining Detroit’s lineup and because he’s still under contract for $13 million next season the Tigers can’t just cut bait on the 34-year-old, but at this point there’s little motivation to rush him back. Detroit is below .500 and 10 games behind Minnesota in the AL Central.
He suffered the injury when Brett Gardner of the Yankees slid into him while trying to break up a double play. Guillen initially deemed it a clean play, but later reconsidered and seemed to indicate he felt Gardner was in the wrong.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)