Aug 24, 2010, 11:17 AM EST
Carlos Guillen is eligible to return from the disabled list on August 31, but said yesterday that he’s still experiencing “sharp pain” in his bruised left knee. “Right now, it’s not good,” Guillen told Jason Beck of MLB.com.
Guillen guessed that he’s at least two weeks from potentially rejoining Detroit’s lineup and because he’s still under contract for $13 million next season the Tigers can’t just cut bait on the 34-year-old, but at this point there’s little motivation to rush him back. Detroit is below .500 and 10 games behind Minnesota in the AL Central.
He suffered the injury when Brett Gardner of the Yankees slid into him while trying to break up a double play. Guillen initially deemed it a clean play, but later reconsidered and seemed to indicate he felt Gardner was in the wrong.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)