Aug 24, 2010, 6:08 PM EDT
It was pretty much a given that none of the three players the Diamondbacks got from the Pirates in the Chris Snyder salary dump would turn into long-termers in Arizona. Bobby Crosby just happened to be the first to go, as he was released Tuesday to make room for Ryan Roberts on the roster.
Crosby received just 12 at-bats during his time in Arizona, collecting two doubles and two RBI. Overall, he’s hit .220/.294/.298 in 168 at-bats for the Pirates and Diamondbacks this season.
The 2004 AL Rookie of the Year with the A’s, Crosby started getting hurt as a sophomore and has played in 100 games in a season just once since. He posted an 802 OPS in 84 games in 2005, but he came in at 636, 619, 645 and 652 in his final four seasons in Oakland. This year will go down as his worst yet.
The other two players the Diamondbacks picked up, right-hander D.J. Carrasco and outfielder Ryan Church, haven’t fared any better. Carrasco has allowed 11 runs — five earned — and walked eight in 8 2/3 innings for his new team. Churck is 4-for-19 with one RBI and nine strikeouts. Neither is likely to open next season in the organization.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with apparent side injury 5
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 8
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 7
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 8
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)