Aug 24, 2010, 10:42 AM EDT
Not so long ago Dusty Baker was believed to be on the hot seat after back-to-back losing seasons, but now the veteran manager is taking his sweet time deciding whether or not to accept the Reds’ contract extension offer.
Baker’s current contract expires after this season and with the Reds in first place at 72-53 he may be interested in seeing what kind of other offers are available on the open market as a free agent this winter.
Or maybe he’s just holding out in order to force the Reds into offering more than a one-year extension. General manager Walt Jocketty declined to discuss the situation yesterday and Baker said merely “we just started talking.”
Because of Baker’s history as a player and manager on the West Coast the Associated Press speculates that he could be an option to replace Joe Torre with the Dodgers and there are likely to be several other prominent openings this offseason.
Not only are the Reds on track for their first playoff appearance since 1995, with 10 more victories Baker will have his first winning season as a manager since 2004.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)