Aug 24, 2010, 10:42 AM EDT
Not so long ago Dusty Baker was believed to be on the hot seat after back-to-back losing seasons, but now the veteran manager is taking his sweet time deciding whether or not to accept the Reds’ contract extension offer.
Baker’s current contract expires after this season and with the Reds in first place at 72-53 he may be interested in seeing what kind of other offers are available on the open market as a free agent this winter.
Or maybe he’s just holding out in order to force the Reds into offering more than a one-year extension. General manager Walt Jocketty declined to discuss the situation yesterday and Baker said merely “we just started talking.”
Because of Baker’s history as a player and manager on the West Coast the Associated Press speculates that he could be an option to replace Joe Torre with the Dodgers and there are likely to be several other prominent openings this offseason.
Not only are the Reds on track for their first playoff appearance since 1995, with 10 more victories Baker will have his first winning season as a manager since 2004.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 15
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 44
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)