Johnny Damon turns down Red Sox, saying: "I'm not going"

Aug 24, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT

Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that Johnny Damon will not approve a move to the Red Sox, with the veteran outfielder telling him “I’m not going” prior to this afternoon’s game.
Since news of the Red Sox’s waiver claim hit yesterday Damon has repeatedly said that he was leaning toward remaining with the Tigers and he apparently didn’t change his mind despite attempts by David Ortiz and Jason Varitek to talk him into returning to Boston.
Earlier this afternoon Damon told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe that he planned to speak to the Tigers about his expected role down the stretch, saying he’d rather go to Boston than play sparingly in Detroit.
Whatever answer general manager Dave Dombrowski and manager Jim Leyland gave Damon wasn’t enough to change his mind.

1. Md23Rewls - Aug 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Why would he go? The fanbase collectively called him a piece of garbage however many years ago. I wouldn’t go back there if I were him. I would rather toil in mediocrity than be surrounded by hypocrites.

2. steelers rule - Aug 24, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Hey Redsuck fans, youa re the ones who booed him on his return, calling him Judas and now wonder why he’s not going back to that armpit of a city?! If your minor league suystem so great, why go after big free ageant all the time!

3. PatPatriotRules - Aug 24, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Hey Steelers rule……For 1 thing…at least we have a baseball team to cheer for..(haha) # 2……have fun with the Rapistburger QB

4. YANKEES1996 - Aug 24, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I believe you may have hit PatPatriotRules a little too close to home on your assesment of Red Sox fans and the meaning of loyalty. By the way Johnny Damon is not the first Red Sox player to have played well for them and be run out of town and treated like shite.

5. hiker2424 - Aug 24, 2010 at 5:47 PM

For Md23–nothing hypocritical. If Damon took the same deal from any of the other 28 teams, he would have been cheered like Dave Roberts or Derek Lowe; but go to the Yankees and you have joined our mortal enemyI haven’t seen any good words about Benedict Arnold either. It’s been that way since the Boston Pilgrims played the New York Invaders/HIghlanders in 1904. Yankee1996 should know that.
    And to the Steelers fan, someone from Steel factory town has no business referring to Boston as an armpit. It’s like someone from Bogota or Mexico City referring to Harrisburg,PA as dangerous.
    Damon was shocked by the response in Boston and it was too obnoxious of the fans. Too bad but understandable. But at least we blocked him from the Devil Rays and Yankees.

6. Md23Rewls - Aug 24, 2010 at 5:53 PM

I love the Yanks, and if say. . .Alfonso Soriano (a guy who was with New York for a comparable number of seasons as Damon was with Boston) had been a free agent and gone to Boston, I wouldn’t have booed him. Why? Because I liked Soriano in his time with the Yanks. I thought Damon was somebody who Boston fans revered for helping to bring them a championship for the first time in 86 years. Sure, I wouldn’t be happy about him going to New York if I were a Boston fan, but why the booing? Why did they throw junk at him when he was playing in the outfield? It just seems silly to me. Can you really blame Damon for not forgetting?

7. Funzo - Aug 24, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I don’t recall Boston fans treating him with any outrageously untoward levels of abuse, but its also hard to blame Damon for declining the trade. IF the Sox make the postseason, and IF Damon’s September is considerably better than his 2010 to date, then sure, there’s the possibility of it working out well. Those are pretty big ifs, though, and I can’t imagine it would be pleasant for anyone to see him trotting his currently mediocre self out there everyday.

8. Utley's hair - Aug 24, 2010 at 6:29 PM

But Soriano wasn’t a crucial catalyst to snapping an 86-year title drought, only to go to your team’s most bitter rival.

9. naz - Aug 24, 2010 at 6:39 PM

if ya didn’t go to the yankees ya wouldn’t have got boooooood

10. Pisano - Aug 24, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Johnny ,you’re alot smarter than I thought you were, it’s a no win situation . Good for you , be happy and stay where you are .

11. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 24, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Damon spent 3 months telling everyone who would listen that he was “never going to go to the New York Yankees”. As soon as they threw some cash at him, he was gone in a New York minute. I don’t begrudge him for taking the best deal, but he shouldn’t have bullshitted about it beforehand. That’s the major reason the fans hated him, and still do. He’s washed up anyway, so he wouldn’t be much help. The Red Sox need to let the young guys play and see what they have instead of bringing in Damon to end up 10 games out of the Wild Card.

12. Pisano - Aug 24, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Well said , finally someone is talking facts rather than hatred . Good post Chris .

13. Old Gator - Aug 24, 2010 at 11:35 PM

I just love that trick in the photo where he levitates the bat. It’s too bad that when you enlarge the picture, you can see the wires. Oh well.

14. Dwight Evans Mustache - Aug 25, 2010 at 4:43 AM

As a Red Sox fan, I was disappointed when he left for the Yankees, but I would’ve welcomed him back. I can forgive him for his past slap in the face to the city of Boston. He probably could’ve platooned with Mike Lowell at 1B and played the occasional LF. Though I imagine if he started to struggle with Boston it could have gotten ugly.

15. Kevin S. - Aug 25, 2010 at 7:58 AM

Why does everybody seem to think he should have taken less money to stay put? Hasn’t the treatment Mike Lowell received after signing a hometown-discount contract demonstrated precisely why we can’t criticize athletes for not leaving money on the table? Loyalty’s a two-way street, and there isn’t much of it coming from the offices on Yawkey Way. That’s fine, and I respect the operation they run, but to then complain when people take the higher money seems a little two-faced to me.

16. Jonny5 - Aug 25, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I wouldn’t want to play ball for Bahhhstan either. The media in bahhhstan is relentless when it comes to the sox. Look how they treat big poopie when he starts the season cold, as usual. Any measureable slump from a player almost always leads to a media frenzy calling for the players head. IMO, Damon had enough of that atmosphere. Plus Bahhhstan is smelly. Third smelliest baseball city next to to Flushing and “DA Bronx”.

17. BC - Aug 25, 2010 at 10:17 AM

You left out Detroit.

18. Jonny5 - Aug 25, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Never been there, but I’ll take your word for it. I know that parts of that city are getting to the point where leveling them would be best.

19. Dwight Evans Mustache - Aug 25, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Love that dirty water…

20. Materialman - Aug 26, 2010 at 10:48 AM

I wouldn’t go back if I was Damon. Those days are over.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2835)