Aug 24, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that Johnny Damon will not approve a move to the Red Sox, with the veteran outfielder telling him “I’m not going” prior to this afternoon’s game.
Since news of the Red Sox’s waiver claim hit yesterday Damon has repeatedly said that he was leaning toward remaining with the Tigers and he apparently didn’t change his mind despite attempts by David Ortiz and Jason Varitek to talk him into returning to Boston.
Earlier this afternoon Damon told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe that he planned to speak to the Tigers about his expected role down the stretch, saying he’d rather go to Boston than play sparingly in Detroit.
Whatever answer general manager Dave Dombrowski and manager Jim Leyland gave Damon wasn’t enough to change his mind.
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 4
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 17
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 10
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)