Aug 24, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that Johnny Damon will not approve a move to the Red Sox, with the veteran outfielder telling him “I’m not going” prior to this afternoon’s game.
Since news of the Red Sox’s waiver claim hit yesterday Damon has repeatedly said that he was leaning toward remaining with the Tigers and he apparently didn’t change his mind despite attempts by David Ortiz and Jason Varitek to talk him into returning to Boston.
Earlier this afternoon Damon told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe that he planned to speak to the Tigers about his expected role down the stretch, saying he’d rather go to Boston than play sparingly in Detroit.
Whatever answer general manager Dave Dombrowski and manager Jim Leyland gave Damon wasn’t enough to change his mind.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)