Aug 24, 2010, 8:31 PM EST
According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Magglio Ordonez is scheduled to undergo surgery Wednesday to stabilize his fractured right ankle, ending his season and most likely his career in Detroit.
Ordonez fractured the ankle on a slide into home plate on July 24. Today’s announcement marks an unfortunate, but not completely unexpected end to a resurgent season. The 36-year-old batted .303/.378/.474 with 12 homers and 59 RBI over 323 at-bats this season.
You won’t hear the Tigers complaining about this, but the injury cost Ordonez a $15 million vesting option for 2011. You see, he needed 135 starts or 540 plate appearances this season, or 70 starts or 1,080 plate appearances in 2009 and 2010 combined in order for the option to vest. With last month’s ankle injury, his clock stopped at 71 starts and 365 plate appearances in 2010 and 173 starts and 883 plate appearances over the past two seasons.
The good news is that the procedure is considered minor and Ordonez is expected to be ready for spring training next season, but even the healthiest of late-30s outfielder-DH types are a tough sell in free agency these days.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 6
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 8
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)