Aug 24, 2010, 3:55 PM EST
Ron Mahay will likely miss the remainder of the season after tearing the rotator cuff in his non-throwing shoulder while trying to make a fielding play Saturday. At age 37, his career is in jeopardy.
Dating back to last season Mahay has quietly done some nice work for the Twins with a 3.14 ERA, .244 opponents’ batting average, and 33/11 K/BB ratio in 43 innings, and while losing a situational left-hander certainly isn’t going to wreck the bullpen it does hurt a bit more with fellow lefty Jose Mijares already out for a month after knee surgery. Glen Perkins is now the bullpen’s sole southpaw and he’s actually worse against left-handed hitters.
Anthony Slama was recalled from Triple-A to replace Mahay on the roster and he was anything but impressive in his first taste of the majors, but struggling in five innings to begin a career means almost nothing and his track record in the minors is certainly dominant enough to warrant an extended opportunity. Slama doesn’t address the lack of lefties, but Ron Gardenhire did some of his best bullpen managing in the past when not focused on handedness.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)