Aug 24, 2010, 3:55 PM EST
Ron Mahay will likely miss the remainder of the season after tearing the rotator cuff in his non-throwing shoulder while trying to make a fielding play Saturday. At age 37, his career is in jeopardy.
Dating back to last season Mahay has quietly done some nice work for the Twins with a 3.14 ERA, .244 opponents’ batting average, and 33/11 K/BB ratio in 43 innings, and while losing a situational left-hander certainly isn’t going to wreck the bullpen it does hurt a bit more with fellow lefty Jose Mijares already out for a month after knee surgery. Glen Perkins is now the bullpen’s sole southpaw and he’s actually worse against left-handed hitters.
Anthony Slama was recalled from Triple-A to replace Mahay on the roster and he was anything but impressive in his first taste of the majors, but struggling in five innings to begin a career means almost nothing and his track record in the minors is certainly dominant enough to warrant an extended opportunity. Slama doesn’t address the lack of lefties, but Ron Gardenhire did some of his best bullpen managing in the past when not focused on handedness.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (293)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)