Aug 24, 2010, 12:47 PM EST
Troy Glaus’ prolonged slump and knee problems convinced the Braves to replace him at first base with Derrek Lee, so now Glaus is somewhat surprisingly seeing action at third base while rehabbing in the minors.
At the time of the Lee trade several Braves beat writers made it very clear that they didn’t think there was any chance of Glaus being an option at third base down the stretch and that may still prove accurate, but the Braves are at least considering the possibility in the wake of Chipper Jones’ season-ending knee injury.
Glaus told Mark Bowman of MLB.com that his knee “feels fine” after resting for a week and said his goal while at Triple-A is “to get as many reps at third base as I can.”
At age 34 and with bad wheels Glaus has had trouble simply running or playing first base, so it seems unlikely that he could handle third base on anything more than an emergency basis. However, he does have more than 11,000 career innings at the position and didn’t make the switch across the diamond until this year.
Glaus began his rehab assignment by playing third base at Triple-A last night and went 0-for-2 with two strikeouts and two walks.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)