Aug 24, 2010, 12:47 PM EDT
Troy Glaus’ prolonged slump and knee problems convinced the Braves to replace him at first base with Derrek Lee, so now Glaus is somewhat surprisingly seeing action at third base while rehabbing in the minors.
At the time of the Lee trade several Braves beat writers made it very clear that they didn’t think there was any chance of Glaus being an option at third base down the stretch and that may still prove accurate, but the Braves are at least considering the possibility in the wake of Chipper Jones’ season-ending knee injury.
Glaus told Mark Bowman of MLB.com that his knee “feels fine” after resting for a week and said his goal while at Triple-A is “to get as many reps at third base as I can.”
At age 34 and with bad wheels Glaus has had trouble simply running or playing first base, so it seems unlikely that he could handle third base on anything more than an emergency basis. However, he does have more than 11,000 career innings at the position and didn’t make the switch across the diamond until this year.
Glaus began his rehab assignment by playing third base at Triple-A last night and went 0-for-2 with two strikeouts and two walks.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)