Aug 24, 2010, 2:03 PM EST
The Rays lost starters Wade Davis and Jeff Niemann on the same day in early August and in the middle of their ongoing hunt for the American League East crown. Today the East is all tied up, with the Yanks and Rays sharing a .616 winning percentage, and both Davis and Niemann are projected to return right on time.
Davis threw a simulated game this weekend, according to MLB.com’s Bill Chastain, and has been cleared to start Tuesday night’s game against the Angels.
Niemann also threw a simulated game over the weekend and is expected to return from the disabled list for Wednesday’s series finale.
Davis, 24, has turned in an impressive 2010 season despite constant pressure from ready-to-soar prospect Jeremy Hellickson and a rough June that saw him go 0-5 with a 6.00 ERA. The right-handed Davis has not registered a loss since June 27 and carved up some pretty tough lineups in the month of July. He should finish August strong and help carry the Rays through September.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)