Aug 24, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
Last year a blogger named Jerod Morris made headlines for writing an article suggesting that Raul Ibanez’s career-best production at age 37 “raised questions” about whether he was using steroids.
Not only did Ibanez respond very angrily and publicly to the article, ESPN had Morris as a guest on Outside the Lines, where he was confronted by Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com and John Gonzalez of the Philadelphia Inquirer. And his comments became fodder for columnists, radio hosts, and talking heads around the country.
I’m not here to argue about whether or not Morris deserved that treatment, but rather to ask why Damien Cox of the Toronto Star hasn’t been similarly ripped to shreds for his column yesterday suggesting that Jose Bautista’s out of nowhere, 40-homer (and counting) breakout season means “you’ve got to at least ask the question” of whether he’s using steroids.
I’d encourage everyone to read Morris’ article from last year and Cox’s article from yesterday, and then judge for themselves just how similar they are. I tend to think they’re pretty damn close, which is why it seems so strange to me that Cox isn’t receiving anywhere close to the same treatment that Morris did.
Is it because mainstream media members aren’t nearly as eager to pick on one of their own? Is it because Morris was mostly just a way for people to launch a larger-scale attack on bloggers and blogging as a whole? Is it because the Phillies and Philadelphia simply get more coverage in the baseball world than the Blue Jays and Toronto? Or is there something else at play?
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)