With contract up after this season, would Joe Girardi want to replace Lou Piniella in Chicago?

Aug 24, 2010, 12:18 PM EDT

Joe Girardi’s three-year contract is up at the end of this season and the New York media is already starting to speculate about him potentially replacing Lou Piniella in Chicago.

Girardi was born and raised in Illinois, got drafted by the Cubs in 1986, and spent two different stints calling Wrigley Field home, playing there from 1989 to 1992 and from 2000 to 2002.

Asked yesterday about Girardi’s status, general manager Brian Cashman said simply: “We’ll deal with contract stuff down the line.” And here’s what Girardi said:

I’m sure I’m going be asked that a lot now that [Piniella's] stepped down. My focus is here. I have a responsibility to the organization and to the guys in that clubhouse and that’s where my focus is. I’m very happy here. You know what? Great working relationship here with everyone involved and I’m very happy here. This organization has been great to me.

I know I have a background there and I’m not going skirt around my background there. I grew up a Cubs fan, I played for the Cubs, but I’m not worried about that now. I’m worried about what we’re doing now. We’re in a fight.

Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com notes that the Cubs opening will likely just give Girardi some added leverage when negotiating to remain with the Yankees, which could be similar to when he talked to the Dodgers before agreeing to a three-year, $7.5 million deal to replace Joe Torre.

1. John_Michael - Aug 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Girardi sounds like he commented after reading a few passages of Catcher In The Rye. That’s what I think his comment sounded like.

2. Jonny5 - Aug 24, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Yeah, right. He’s on a team built to win indefinately, But he’ll go to a team that is born to lose indefinately? If the Yankees offer him a job, which they will, He’ll remain.

3. birdmancometh - Aug 24, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Yeah, but ex-ball players can be awfully confident. Think of how big of a hero he would be if he finally led his home town team to the WS?

4. Old Gator - Aug 24, 2010 at 1:28 PM

What I think is, the newspapers are phonies, that’s what. You tell them something, it comes out something different every time. I would rather just read comic books, because comic books don’t have anything to lie about. They just tell the truth, they’re not phonies like the newspapers.

5. Old Gator - Aug 24, 2010 at 1:31 PM

With so little hair, it would take Girardi less than a month to become infected by that prion-vectored Indonesian brain disease Die Vloek van der Geitbok, and he’d never be any good for winning anything again. Probably he’d get into a fight with some umpire a week into the season and throw down his hat, and the top of his head would come off and reveal that his skull had been corked. He’s a lot better off in New York – and you wouldn’t say that about everyone, you know?

6. Jonny5 - Aug 24, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I always thought it was Mercury contamination that made everyone in that city “Mad as a Hatter”.

7. YANKEES1996 - Aug 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I hate to say this because I really don’t want to see Girardi go, but this is far from a sure thing. Joe has deep roots in Chicago and so does his wife and it has been rumored that his wife is not particularly fond of NY. Several years ago when Joe left his previous NL job it was rumored that the Cubs wanted to hire him then and it did not work out. I would tell Cash to handle this immediaetly after the season to keep the pursuit to a minimum by the Cubs as it does not seem that it is going to be a long list of candidates to begin with, this search is most likely going to come down to Sandberg or Girardi if the Cubs want to win, anyone else is a waste of time. I think Joe should stay in NY as he is doing a good job handling all the crap that comes with the job, but like I said before I don’t think it is a sure thing, unfortunately.

8. El Bravo - Aug 24, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Cubs = Bad; Yankees = Good; Girardi stays and this post is redonk. Cubs will go for Rhino who’s even more so at home in Chicago.

9. Omega - Aug 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Ultimate Chicago Fanboy Fantasy.
    1. Girardi turns down the Yankees offer and signs a 3 year deal with the Cubs.
    2. Girardi promotes Sandberg to be his Bench Coach and groom him for his own replacement.
    3. Girardi steps down as the Cubs Manager after taking them to and winning the WS in 2014 (and takes over the Rockies for the 2015 season – did I mention I am a Rockos fan too?)
    4. Sandberg takes the reins and the Cubs repeat as WS Champs in 2015, thus establishing a Dynasty long denied the long suffering fans of the Cubs.
    Like I said it is a fantasy, so items 3 and 4 can just be laughed off :-) , but I would love to see Joe back in a Cubs uniform.

10. Jess_Ball - Aug 26, 2010 at 2:46 AM

John_Michael “I’m worried about what we’re doing now. We’re in a fight.” -Girardi
    There is a bit of Salinger in there : )

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5466)