Aug 24, 2010, 12:18 PM EDT
Joe Girardi’s three-year contract is up at the end of this season and the New York media is already starting to speculate about him potentially replacing Lou Piniella in Chicago.
Girardi was born and raised in Illinois, got drafted by the Cubs in 1986, and spent two different stints calling Wrigley Field home, playing there from 1989 to 1992 and from 2000 to 2002.
Asked yesterday about Girardi’s status, general manager Brian Cashman said simply: “We’ll deal with contract stuff down the line.” And here’s what Girardi said:
I’m sure I’m going be asked that a lot now that [Piniella's] stepped down. My focus is here. I have a responsibility to the organization and to the guys in that clubhouse and that’s where my focus is. I’m very happy here. You know what? Great working relationship here with everyone involved and I’m very happy here. This organization has been great to me.
I know I have a background there and I’m not going skirt around my background there. I grew up a Cubs fan, I played for the Cubs, but I’m not worried about that now. I’m worried about what we’re doing now. We’re in a fight.
Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com notes that the Cubs opening will likely just give Girardi some added leverage when negotiating to remain with the Yankees, which could be similar to when he talked to the Dodgers before agreeing to a three-year, $7.5 million deal to replace Joe Torre.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)