Aug 24, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
With the right-hander getting lit up because of a dead arm that has him looking more like a Triple-A journeyman than one of the game’s top strikeout pitchers, the Yankees are finally ready to do something about Javier Vazquez. He’ll have his turn skipped this week, and he’ll be available to work out of the pen beginning Wednesday.
Vazquez last pitched Saturday, when he gave up four runs over three innings in a no-decision against the Mariners. It was the third straight outing in which he failed to last five innings. He’s 0-2 with an 8.10 ERA and seven homers in 16 2/3 innings over four starts in August.
The Yankees will give 23-year-old Ivan Nova a chance to pitch in Vazquez’s place when he faces the White Sox on Sunday. Picked over Dustin Moseley then, Nova allowed two runs over 5 1/3 innings in a no-decision against the Jays on Monday. It was his first big-league start after two relief appearances back in May in which he combined to pitch three scoreless innings.
We’re still probably a couple of weeks away from figuring out whether Vazquez can be written off for the rest of the season. The arm fatigue clearly wasn’t going away while he was starting every five days. Maybe some time off will help. But unless he regains a few mph on his fastball, he’s not going to be a part of the Yankees’ postseason roster.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)