Aug 24, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
With the right-hander getting lit up because of a dead arm that has him looking more like a Triple-A journeyman than one of the game’s top strikeout pitchers, the Yankees are finally ready to do something about Javier Vazquez. He’ll have his turn skipped this week, and he’ll be available to work out of the pen beginning Wednesday.
Vazquez last pitched Saturday, when he gave up four runs over three innings in a no-decision against the Mariners. It was the third straight outing in which he failed to last five innings. He’s 0-2 with an 8.10 ERA and seven homers in 16 2/3 innings over four starts in August.
The Yankees will give 23-year-old Ivan Nova a chance to pitch in Vazquez’s place when he faces the White Sox on Sunday. Picked over Dustin Moseley then, Nova allowed two runs over 5 1/3 innings in a no-decision against the Jays on Monday. It was his first big-league start after two relief appearances back in May in which he combined to pitch three scoreless innings.
We’re still probably a couple of weeks away from figuring out whether Vazquez can be written off for the rest of the season. The arm fatigue clearly wasn’t going away while he was starting every five days. Maybe some time off will help. But unless he regains a few mph on his fastball, he’s not going to be a part of the Yankees’ postseason roster.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)