Aug 24, 2010, 8:24 AM EST
The Nationals are going to have to shut Stephen Strasburg down for the next few weeks, if not the rest of the season, due to a strained flexor tendon in his right forearm. It’s disappointing news because the young ace is incredible to watch, but there is a bright side.
Replacing Strasburg in the Nats’ starting rotation will be 24-year-old Jordan Zimmermann, who missed parts of 2009 and has missed all of 2010 due to Tommy John surgery. Now healthy, and with 10 solid rehab appearances under his belt, the right-hander is all set to return on Thursday against the Cardinals. This according to MLB.com’s Bill Ladson.
Zimmermann made a name for himself one year ago when he opened the ’09 season with 92 strikeouts over his first 91.1 major league innings. He also compiled a respectable 4.36 ERA and 1.36 WHIP over that span.
The righty is throwing with good velocity and movement yet again and should do well upon returning to the big leagues. Even if he falters, Zimmermann and Strasburg will lead a much-improved Washington rotation heading into 2011.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)