Aug 25, 2010, 9:02 AM EDT
A source tells Troy Renck of the Denver Post that Brad Hawpe has officially cleared waivers and can now sign with any team. According to Renck, Hawpe is expected to sign with a new team by Thursday.
Hawpe, 31, was designated for assignment by the Rockies last week after he batted just .255/.343/.432 with seven home runs and 37 RBI for the club this season. It was a bit of a formality, as he was widely expected to clear waivers all along.
Renck views the Rangers, White Sox, Rays and Padres as potential landing spots for Hawpe. The Rangers have been connected to Hawpe most often in rumors and he makes good sense as a contingency plan for Nelson Cruz, who is currently on the disabled list for the third time this season due to a hamstring injury. Still, I’m favoring the Giants. Not enough outfielders there.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 23
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 32
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)