Aug 25, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
The Red Sox planned to go with Josh Beckett and Jon Lester in their doubleheader Wednesday against the Mariners, but after winning the first game with Beckett on the mound, they announced that Lester would be pushed back to Friday as a replacement for Daisuke Matsuzaka, who is battling a sore back.
Matsuzaka, who is 2-1 with a 3.64 ERA in seven starts since the All-Star break, apparently will miss at least a full turn in the rotation with his latest ailment. He missed the month of April due to neck and back soreness and he served a DL stint in June with a forearm strain.
With Dice-K sidelined, the Red Sox will turn to knuckleballer Tim Wakefield to start tonight. It will be his first start since July 20. His last nine appearances dating back to July 7 have all come in Red Sox losses, and he’s 3-9 for the season.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)