Aug 25, 2010, 6:20 PM EST
The Red Sox planned to go with Josh Beckett and Jon Lester in their doubleheader Wednesday against the Mariners, but after winning the first game with Beckett on the mound, they announced that Lester would be pushed back to Friday as a replacement for Daisuke Matsuzaka, who is battling a sore back.
Matsuzaka, who is 2-1 with a 3.64 ERA in seven starts since the All-Star break, apparently will miss at least a full turn in the rotation with his latest ailment. He missed the month of April due to neck and back soreness and he served a DL stint in June with a forearm strain.
With Dice-K sidelined, the Red Sox will turn to knuckleballer Tim Wakefield to start tonight. It will be his first start since July 20. His last nine appearances dating back to July 7 have all come in Red Sox losses, and he’s 3-9 for the season.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 40
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)