Aug 25, 2010, 6:20 PM EST
The Red Sox planned to go with Josh Beckett and Jon Lester in their doubleheader Wednesday against the Mariners, but after winning the first game with Beckett on the mound, they announced that Lester would be pushed back to Friday as a replacement for Daisuke Matsuzaka, who is battling a sore back.
Matsuzaka, who is 2-1 with a 3.64 ERA in seven starts since the All-Star break, apparently will miss at least a full turn in the rotation with his latest ailment. He missed the month of April due to neck and back soreness and he served a DL stint in June with a forearm strain.
With Dice-K sidelined, the Red Sox will turn to knuckleballer Tim Wakefield to start tonight. It will be his first start since July 20. His last nine appearances dating back to July 7 have all come in Red Sox losses, and he’s 3-9 for the season.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)