Aug 25, 2010, 11:36 AM EDT
According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty confirmed Tuesday that Jason Isringhausen has been shut down for the rest of the season with an elbow injury.
Isringhausen, who turns 38 in September, was attempting to make a comeback after undergoing Tommy John surgery last June. He was signed to a minor league contract by the Reds last month, but was placed on the minor league disabled list early last week.
Isringhausen appeared in nine games with the Rays last season and posted a 5.70 ERA in 42 appearances with the Cardinals in 2008, so the odds were already against this comeback story. Now it’s fair to wonder whether his career is over.
If he’s truly done, Isringhausen hangs it up with a 3.60 career ERA and 1.33 WHIP over 14 major league seasons. He ranks 22nd all-time with 293 saves. The two-time All-Star managed an impressive 2.36 ERA and 11 saves (4th all-time) over 23 career postseason appearances.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)