J.J. Putz and Matt Thornton headed to the disabled list

Aug 25, 2010, 11:02 AM EDT

Bobby Jenks is essentially back as Ozzie Guillen’s closer, but he didn’t get there without a body count. J.J. Putz re-injured his right knee last night against the Orioles and Matt Thornton hasn’t appeared in a game since last Tuesday’s due to soreness in his forearm. After last night’s 7-5 win, Guillen told the Chicago Sun-Times that both pitchers were going to be placed on the disabled list.

”Well, Thornton is down, Putz is down, we’ve got to add two guys,”
Guillen said. ”I need some guys that can go out there. I’m not saying
we’re in trouble, but everyone in the bullpen has to pick it up a notch
for at least the next seven days because we won’t have Thornton. We have
to step it up a notch. We’ll figure it out.”

Putz underwent an MRI on Monday which revealed no structural damage in the knee, however last night was the second time in his last three appearances that he was forced to leave a game due to injury. The 33-year-old right-hander has allowed seven runs — six earned — over his last 5 2/3 innings (9.53 ERA) after giving up just eight runs over his first 41 1/3 innings this season, so it’s clear something just isn’t right with him.

As for Thornton, he also underwent an MRI on Monday which showed no structural damage in his forearm and elbow area, however he did have some receive an injection to dry up fluid in the affected area. According to Scott Merkin of MLB.com, Thornton said before last night’s game that he likely wouldn’t be available to pitch until next week’s series against the Indians, so there’s no use in wasting a roster spot any longer.

It comes at a tough time for the White Sox, who enter play Wednesday 3 1/2 games behind the first-place Twins in the American League Central. Their depleted bullpen will surely be tested during a three-game series against the Yankees this weekend.

1. geoknows - Aug 25, 2010 at 11:14 AM

“Dried up fluid in the affected area?” How do you see dried up fluid?

2. D.J. Short - Aug 25, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Thornton’s quote: “They put something in to help dry up the fluid. They didn’t draw anything out; they tried. They injected a little something to dry it out, and I feel better [Tuesday] than I did [Monday].”

3. D.J. Short - Aug 25, 2010 at 11:36 AM

I see how you may have read that the wrong way, so thanks for heads up.

4. John_Michael - Aug 25, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I had tickets for the game Thornton hurt himself, but I didn’t go because I couldn’t find the stadium. My directions were, ‘turn left where the gas station used to be.’

5. gogoSox - Aug 25, 2010 at 11:57 AM

wow… bad news about the white sox… im shocked gleeman isnt reporting this one…

6. doctorfunke - Aug 25, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I think the Sox can blame Thome for this Right?
    And although this is somewhat good news for Twins fans like myself, the Twins themselves are facing some hard times in the pen. Should make for an interesting finish. Again.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (4062)