Aug 25, 2010, 2:20 PM EDT
Bobby Cox said yesterday that Kenshin Kawakami will be used as a reliever when he returns from his stint at Triple-A, which is no surprise given how impressive rookie Mike Minor has been in three starts since stepping into the rotation.
Minor, who was the seventh overall pick in last year’s draft out of Vanderbilt, has racked up 22 strikeouts versus just four walks in 18 innings since being called up earlier this month. He also had a 3.15 ERA and 163/46 K/BB ratio in 134 innings as a minor leaguer, so the 22-year-old southpaw figures to be in the Braves’ rotation for the next decade or so.
As for Kawakami, despite already making four starts at Triple-A he’s unlikely to rejoin the team until rosters expand on September 1. Prior to the demotion he pitched quite a bit better than his ugly 1-9 record, posting a 4.75 ERA and 57/28 K/BB ratio in 83.1 innings, but with Minor more than holding his own and the front four of Tim Hudson, Tommy Hanson, Jair Jurrjens, and Derek Lowe set in stone there’s just no room for Kawakami.
Or as Cox put it: “We still need him, in case someone’s sick or whatever.”
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)