Mets GM Omar Minaya needs "big finish" to keep his job

Aug 25, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT

Mets owner Fred Wilpon hinted otherwise earlier this month, however sources tell Jon Heyman of SI.com that the team will likely need a “big finish” in order for Omar Minaya to retain his job as general manager.

But that doesn’t mean Minaya is going to be fired. Because he is respected within the organization — and, uh, under contract for two more seasons — he will likely be reassigned to another position.

As far as potential replacements for Minaya, Heyman names former Padres general manager and current Yankees consultant Kevin Towers, as well as in-house candidates John Ricco and Wayne Krivsky. He calls veteran general manager Pat Gillick “an interesting thought if he’d do it,” though there’s nothing to suggest he’d be interested. A few weeks ago, I mentioned the possibility that Rangers general manager Jon Daniels could exercise the out-clause in his contract over the winter, but it would be awful tough to pry him away from what they’re building in Texas.

One candidate Heyman doesn’t name is Josh Byrnes, who was fired as general manager of the Diamondbacks in July. Not saying he should be the guy, necessarily, but a general housecleaning would probably boost the morale of Mets fans more than Ricco or Krivsky simply inheriting the job. Maybe this is unfair, but it would feel too much like Jim Duquette Part II.

1. BC - Aug 25, 2010 at 10:49 AM

TANK GUYS, TANK!!!! TANK!!!!!!!
    Here’s hoping for a 2-38 finish.
    Will make tickets chearper at the end of September anyway…..

2. Simon DelMonte - Aug 25, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Assuming that the Mets are in a bad way financially, they might have little choice but to go with someone like Riccio. Which would suit me fine, since everything I’ve read about him makes me think he has been part of the slow and steady re-creation of the Mets’ minor leagues.
    I think the lesson here is never give a GM a long contract. I wonder how many teams are paying ex-GMs to sit around in ill-defined back office jobs.

3. YANKEES1996 - Aug 25, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Whoever they hire to replace him could not possibly be as bad, but where do you reassign him to?….hmmmm lets see

4. BC - Aug 25, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I’d rather have Elmer Fudd as GM than Minaya. Or the Otis character from the “Superman” movie.
    (“Otisburg???!?! It’s a little bitty place….)

5. Simon DelMonte - Aug 25, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I think there are worse GMs. Maybe not worse in terms of managing a big wallet, but the Mets were contenders for a good chunk of his time in charge. Surely if he gets the blame for the failures, he gets credit for the successes.
    As opposed to, say, Dayton Moore.

6. Jonny5 - Aug 25, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Omar was responsible for landing quite a few good players , but isn’t it Jerry’s job to make sure the team has a strong finish? Seriously though, his biggest mistake i feel, is putting Jerry Manuel in charge. I see one way of making sure the Mets have a strong finish, fire Manuel. The team has already proven it has what it takes to be a contender, but they have a terrible skipper. Maybe I’m wrong? But it is how i see it.

7. savoir laire - Aug 25, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Gee, ya think this stupid piece of crap should be fired? Thank god I’m now seeing this in print, I have been ranting about this for over a month now. I’m done with this moron…he was supposed to be the savior, the wunderkind, the genius, with a huge budget and the best media market. What a friggin’ idiot. I have never seen anyone make so many bad moves or moves that looked good and went completely bad. I am also of the opinion that he completely favors obtaining and playing Latino players at the expense of his team’s performance. Carlos Beltran, JJ Putz (I know, he’s not Latino!), K-Rod, how many high visibility, high cost screw ups can one GM make. Even Santana has basically been a .500 pitcher for them. Sh-t can this moron!! Frank Cashen must be doing triple gainers in his grave!

8. Simon DelMonte - Aug 25, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Frank Cashen is alive and well. And still wearing that bowtie, as seen when he was inducted in the Mets Hall of Fame.

9. Simon DelMonte - Aug 25, 2010 at 12:59 PM

It’s the same question all the time. When a team underachieved, who gets the blame? The manager, for not using the pieces right? The GM, for not giving the manager the right pieces? Or the players, for underachieving in the first place?
    In this case, there is blame to go around, to Omar and to Jerry and to many of the players. And the mistakes Omar has made – Ollie, Bay, K-Rod’s overly long contract – are enough that he has earned a good deal of the scorn heaped on him now.

10. Jonny5 - Aug 25, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Oh I agree. But a strong finish needs to be the responsibility of the guy in the dugout calling the shots imo. And Yeah, They both are to blame for the teams issues.

11. Joe - Aug 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Santana is 39-24 (.619) with a 2.83 ERA since joining the Mets. I’ll take that kind of .500 pitcher any day.
    The guys that Minaya gave up for Santana have been basically worthless. A good-glove CF with a .291 OBP (Gomez), a guy who has pitched 28 IP with an ERA of 6.04 (Humber), a guy who has pitched 27 IP with an ERA of 7.90 (Mulvey), and a guy with an ERA around 6.00 in the high minors (Guerra).
    Minaya’s done a lot of really bad things, but it’s difficult to find fault with the Santana trade/signing.

12. savoir laire - Aug 25, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Ooops, you are right, I was thinking of George Young (remember the days when the Giants and Mets had real geniuses running them?!). My apologies to everyone, and especially to Frank. But I think it’s clear that wasn’t the point of my post! Omar Minaya couldn’t carry Cashen’s bowtie, or his jockstrap if he wore one…

13. walk - Aug 25, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Kevin towers would scare me as the gm for the mets. He helped the padres to the world series and several pennants which i didnt think were possible. Give him the mets budget, i would really like to see what he can do.

14. MetsFan - Aug 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Given Omar Minaya’s behavior last year regarding ( I think it was ) a reporter’s questions and his regrettable contracts with some players, most specifically, Oliver Perez, it seems that he is an extremely overrated and egotistical general manager. The Mets did nothing during the trade week to bring in anyone to help with the stretch run. As for Jerry Manuel I think the players have just given up playing. The entire team looks listless. It is definitely time for a change at the top. The only move that has been any good has been Josh Thole starting behind the plate.
    As far as needing a fantastic finish, here’s hoping they play like they did in July and lets get rid of Minaya and Manuel, the M&M plains.

15. Omega - Aug 25, 2010 at 3:03 PM

What’s Matt Millen doing these days?

16. Old Gator - Aug 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Omar Minaya is a Muslim!

17. JBerardi - Aug 25, 2010 at 5:38 PM

And a Mexican to boot! He’s gonna blow up all our jobs!

18. Old Gator - Aug 25, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Arizona is definitely no place for this guy.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto