Aug 25, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Mets owner Fred Wilpon hinted otherwise earlier this month, however sources tell Jon Heyman of SI.com that the team will likely need a “big finish” in order for Omar Minaya to retain his job as general manager.
But that doesn’t mean Minaya is going to be fired. Because he is respected within the organization — and, uh, under contract for two more seasons — he will likely be reassigned to another position.
As far as potential replacements for Minaya, Heyman names former Padres general manager and current Yankees consultant Kevin Towers, as well as in-house candidates John Ricco and Wayne Krivsky. He calls veteran general manager Pat Gillick “an interesting thought if he’d do it,” though there’s nothing to suggest he’d be interested. A few weeks ago, I mentioned the possibility that Rangers general manager Jon Daniels could exercise the out-clause in his contract over the winter, but it would be awful tough to pry him away from what they’re building in Texas.
One candidate Heyman doesn’t name is Josh Byrnes, who was fired as general manager of the Diamondbacks in July. Not saying he should be the guy, necessarily, but a general housecleaning would probably boost the morale of Mets fans more than Ricco or Krivsky simply inheriting the job. Maybe this is unfair, but it would feel too much like Jim Duquette Part II.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)