Aug 25, 2010, 10:30 AM EST
Mets owner Fred Wilpon hinted otherwise earlier this month, however sources tell Jon Heyman of SI.com that the team will likely need a “big finish” in order for Omar Minaya to retain his job as general manager.
But that doesn’t mean Minaya is going to be fired. Because he is respected within the organization — and, uh, under contract for two more seasons — he will likely be reassigned to another position.
As far as potential replacements for Minaya, Heyman names former Padres general manager and current Yankees consultant Kevin Towers, as well as in-house candidates John Ricco and Wayne Krivsky. He calls veteran general manager Pat Gillick “an interesting thought if he’d do it,” though there’s nothing to suggest he’d be interested. A few weeks ago, I mentioned the possibility that Rangers general manager Jon Daniels could exercise the out-clause in his contract over the winter, but it would be awful tough to pry him away from what they’re building in Texas.
One candidate Heyman doesn’t name is Josh Byrnes, who was fired as general manager of the Diamondbacks in July. Not saying he should be the guy, necessarily, but a general housecleaning would probably boost the morale of Mets fans more than Ricco or Krivsky simply inheriting the job. Maybe this is unfair, but it would feel too much like Jim Duquette Part II.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 236
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (252)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)