Aug 25, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
Armando Galarraga might have a chance for another (near) perfect game this afternoon, as the Royals feature the following lineup:
1. Gregor Blanco
2. Mike Aviles
3. Willie Bloomquist
4. Billy Butler
5. Kila Ka’aihue
6. Brayan Pena
7. Mitch Maier
8. Jai Miller
9. Chris Getz
There are a couple amazing things at play here.
First, as Tom Gage of the Detroit News points out, Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera has 10 more homers (31) than the entire Royals’ lineup put together (21).
Beyond that, Willie Bloomquist batting third in a big-league lineup–against a right-handed pitcher, no less–is hilarious. Bloomquist is a career .255 hitter with a .305 on-base percentage and .310 slugging percentage against righties, including .205/.221/.253 this season. He has long been one of the worst hitters in baseball against right-handed pitching. And he’s batting third.
I’m not sure whether to mock manager Ned Yost for filling out that ridiculous lineup card or general manager Dayton Moore for putting together the roster, but there’s probably enough to go around for both. I believe this is what the kids on the interwebs call “epic fail.” Also, “LOLZ” applies too.
And now the Royals will probably score 20 runs.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 0
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 34
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 25
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)