Aug 25, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
Armando Galarraga might have a chance for another (near) perfect game this afternoon, as the Royals feature the following lineup:
1. Gregor Blanco
2. Mike Aviles
3. Willie Bloomquist
4. Billy Butler
5. Kila Ka’aihue
6. Brayan Pena
7. Mitch Maier
8. Jai Miller
9. Chris Getz
There are a couple amazing things at play here.
First, as Tom Gage of the Detroit News points out, Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera has 10 more homers (31) than the entire Royals’ lineup put together (21).
Beyond that, Willie Bloomquist batting third in a big-league lineup–against a right-handed pitcher, no less–is hilarious. Bloomquist is a career .255 hitter with a .305 on-base percentage and .310 slugging percentage against righties, including .205/.221/.253 this season. He has long been one of the worst hitters in baseball against right-handed pitching. And he’s batting third.
I’m not sure whether to mock manager Ned Yost for filling out that ridiculous lineup card or general manager Dayton Moore for putting together the roster, but there’s probably enough to go around for both. I believe this is what the kids on the interwebs call “epic fail.” Also, “LOLZ” applies too.
And now the Royals will probably score 20 runs.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)