Aug 25, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
Armando Galarraga might have a chance for another (near) perfect game this afternoon, as the Royals feature the following lineup:
1. Gregor Blanco
2. Mike Aviles
3. Willie Bloomquist
4. Billy Butler
5. Kila Ka’aihue
6. Brayan Pena
7. Mitch Maier
8. Jai Miller
9. Chris Getz
There are a couple amazing things at play here.
First, as Tom Gage of the Detroit News points out, Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera has 10 more homers (31) than the entire Royals’ lineup put together (21).
Beyond that, Willie Bloomquist batting third in a big-league lineup–against a right-handed pitcher, no less–is hilarious. Bloomquist is a career .255 hitter with a .305 on-base percentage and .310 slugging percentage against righties, including .205/.221/.253 this season. He has long been one of the worst hitters in baseball against right-handed pitching. And he’s batting third.
I’m not sure whether to mock manager Ned Yost for filling out that ridiculous lineup card or general manager Dayton Moore for putting together the roster, but there’s probably enough to go around for both. I believe this is what the kids on the interwebs call “epic fail.” Also, “LOLZ” applies too.
And now the Royals will probably score 20 runs.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)