Aug 25, 2010, 11:48 AM EST
Armando Galarraga might have a chance for another (near) perfect game this afternoon, as the Royals feature the following lineup:
1. Gregor Blanco
2. Mike Aviles
3. Willie Bloomquist
4. Billy Butler
5. Kila Ka’aihue
6. Brayan Pena
7. Mitch Maier
8. Jai Miller
9. Chris Getz
There are a couple amazing things at play here.
First, as Tom Gage of the Detroit News points out, Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera has 10 more homers (31) than the entire Royals’ lineup put together (21).
Beyond that, Willie Bloomquist batting third in a big-league lineup–against a right-handed pitcher, no less–is hilarious. Bloomquist is a career .255 hitter with a .305 on-base percentage and .310 slugging percentage against righties, including .205/.221/.253 this season. He has long been one of the worst hitters in baseball against right-handed pitching. And he’s batting third.
I’m not sure whether to mock manager Ned Yost for filling out that ridiculous lineup card or general manager Dayton Moore for putting together the roster, but there’s probably enough to go around for both. I believe this is what the kids on the interwebs call “epic fail.” Also, “LOLZ” applies too.
And now the Royals will probably score 20 runs.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)