Aug 25, 2010, 2:41 PM EDT
Seeking a second opinion on Dustin Pedroia’s sore left foot, the Red Sox sent scans to Dr. Jonathan Deland and Dr. Robert Anderson, according Quinn Roberts of MLB.com.
Red Sox manager Terry Francona said that the team expected feedback either Tuesday or Wednesday, so we should hear an update on his status relatively quickly. This afternoon, Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com reported that surgery for Pedroia remains a possibility.
Looking to ease his second baseman’s mind, Francona even dialed up his old pal Michael Jordan, who he managed with the Birmingham Barons in 1994. Jordan also broke the navicular bone in his left foot while playing with the Bulls during the 1985-1986 season.
Francona described the nature of the conversation during an appearance on the Dale & Holley show on WEEI in Boston this morning.
“I don’t call Michael very much just because I know how much people bug
him. But because of Pedey, I knew that Michael would enjoy talking to
him, and he did. He was almost fatherly in his advice. He was like, “I
went through this, it’s tough, you got to listen.” Pedey was all ears
and that was good. When guys like Michael Jordan talk, people are apt to
Speaking of Jordan, I wasn’t able to watch the latest “30 for 30″ documentary about his time with the Barons — too busy with baseball coverage both here and on Rotoworld last night — but I’m very interested to do so.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)