Aug 25, 2010, 7:30 PM EDT
The list of longest-serving active players without a playoff appearance appears due for a shakeup this year. Here are the leaders in regular-season games played without a postseason appearance:
1. Randy Winn (Cardinals) – 1,686 games
2. Michael Young (Rangers) – 1,473 games
3. Aubrey Huff (Giants) – 1,444 games
4. Mike Sweeney (Phillies) – 1,442 games
5. Adam Dunn (Nationals) – 1,415 games
6. Vernon Wells (Blue Jays) – 1,358 games
With the season three-quarters over, No. 2 looks like a lock to play into October and the rest of the top four have opportunities. Winn, Huff and Sweeney are all currently on second-place teams in the National League. The Phillies and Giants are practically tied for the wild card, and both the Phillies and Cardinals are still in pretty good position to win their divisions.
Of course, it’s doubtful that all four will make it and leave Dunn as the new top player on the list. But it’s not impossible.
Regardless, with eight teams reaching the postseason these days, it’s going to be very difficult for anyone to break Ernie Banks’ all-time record. In 19 seasons, he played in 2,528 games without ever appearing in the postseason. Next on the list are Luke Appling (2,422), Mickey Vernon (2,409) and Buddy Bell (2,405).
- Greetings from All-Star week in Minneapolis 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 6
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 49
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 39
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 5
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)