Aug 25, 2010, 7:30 PM EDT
The list of longest-serving active players without a playoff appearance appears due for a shakeup this year. Here are the leaders in regular-season games played without a postseason appearance:
1. Randy Winn (Cardinals) – 1,686 games
2. Michael Young (Rangers) – 1,473 games
3. Aubrey Huff (Giants) – 1,444 games
4. Mike Sweeney (Phillies) – 1,442 games
5. Adam Dunn (Nationals) – 1,415 games
6. Vernon Wells (Blue Jays) – 1,358 games
With the season three-quarters over, No. 2 looks like a lock to play into October and the rest of the top four have opportunities. Winn, Huff and Sweeney are all currently on second-place teams in the National League. The Phillies and Giants are practically tied for the wild card, and both the Phillies and Cardinals are still in pretty good position to win their divisions.
Of course, it’s doubtful that all four will make it and leave Dunn as the new top player on the list. But it’s not impossible.
Regardless, with eight teams reaching the postseason these days, it’s going to be very difficult for anyone to break Ernie Banks’ all-time record. In 19 seasons, he played in 2,528 games without ever appearing in the postseason. Next on the list are Luke Appling (2,422), Mickey Vernon (2,409) and Buddy Bell (2,405).
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 27
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)