Aug 25, 2010, 12:38 PM EDT
According to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun, No. 3 overall pick Manny Machado is expected to make his pro debut with the Gulf Coast League Orioles on Friday.
Machado, an 18-year-old shortstop, was signed to a $5.25 million signing bonus by the Orioles earlier this month. It was the second-largest signing bonus in franchise history, only topped by Matt Wieters’ $6 million signing bonus when he was selected with the No. 5 pick out of Georgia Tech in 2007.
The 6-foot-3, 185-pound Machado hits from the right side and the plate and hails from the Miami area, so we’ve already heard plenty of Alex Rodriguez comparisons in terms of his projection. We won’t go there quite yet, but he was regarded as the top high school position player available on draft day.
Zrebiec writes that Machado hasn’t played a meaningful game since June, so in an effort to be cautious, the Orioles plan to use him as designated hitter over his first couple of games with the GCL club.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 33
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 71
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (180)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)