Aug 25, 2010, 12:38 PM EST
According to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun, No. 3 overall pick Manny Machado is expected to make his pro debut with the Gulf Coast League Orioles on Friday.
Machado, an 18-year-old shortstop, was signed to a $5.25 million signing bonus by the Orioles earlier this month. It was the second-largest signing bonus in franchise history, only topped by Matt Wieters’ $6 million signing bonus when he was selected with the No. 5 pick out of Georgia Tech in 2007.
The 6-foot-3, 185-pound Machado hits from the right side and the plate and hails from the Miami area, so we’ve already heard plenty of Alex Rodriguez comparisons in terms of his projection. We won’t go there quite yet, but he was regarded as the top high school position player available on draft day.
Zrebiec writes that Machado hasn’t played a meaningful game since June, so in an effort to be cautious, the Orioles plan to use him as designated hitter over his first couple of games with the GCL club.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)