Aug 25, 2010, 4:38 PM EST
Ryan Howard went 0-for-7 with five strikeouts last night before being ejected by third base umpire and instigator Scott Barry, and manager Charlie Manuel has benched him for tonight’s game.
Toss in Howard’s pronounced platoon splits and sitting him versus left-hander J.A. Happ was probably pretty close to a no-brainer for Manuel. The right-handed hitting Mike Sweeney is starting in his place.
Howard is no doubt facing a fine and possibly a suspension, although obviously neither would impact his availability tonight. Oh, and it’ll be interesting to see what type of reaction Barry gets from the Philadelphia crowd. And by “interesting” I mean “fun to hear that much booing directed at one person who deserves it.”
- Report: Mariners break off talks with Robinson Cano after Jay Z “overplayed his hand” 45
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 86
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (99)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (86)