Aug 25, 2010, 6:26 PM EDT
Do with this what you will.
Toni Ginnetti of the Chicago Sun-Times published a report moments ago that contains quite a misleading headline. “White Sox close to obtaining Manny Ramirez from Los Angeles Dodgers,” it reads, but the actual article simply gives a rundown of the current situation — a situation that we’re all plenty familiar with.
Manny has been placed on waivers. The White Sox are interested. The Dodgers have been scouting players in the White Sox’s farm system.
We get it, and nobody would be surprised if the 38-year-old Ramirez lands on the south side of Chicago before this week is through. But there doesn’t seem to be any sort of breaking news at this time, at least not from Ginnetti and Co. at the Sun-Times.
Manny is batting .306/.396/.497 with eight home runs and 39 RBI over 193 at-bats this season and would likely serve as the White Sox’s everyday designated hitter if a deal is pulled off.
For what it’s worth — and, mind you, it’s probably not worth much — Ramirez is a .338/.448/.601 hitter over 261 plate appearances in the cozy confines of Chicago’s U.S. Cellular Field.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)