Aug 25, 2010, 6:26 PM EDT
Do with this what you will.
Toni Ginnetti of the Chicago Sun-Times published a report moments ago that contains quite a misleading headline. “White Sox close to obtaining Manny Ramirez from Los Angeles Dodgers,” it reads, but the actual article simply gives a rundown of the current situation — a situation that we’re all plenty familiar with.
Manny has been placed on waivers. The White Sox are interested. The Dodgers have been scouting players in the White Sox’s farm system.
We get it, and nobody would be surprised if the 38-year-old Ramirez lands on the south side of Chicago before this week is through. But there doesn’t seem to be any sort of breaking news at this time, at least not from Ginnetti and Co. at the Sun-Times.
Manny is batting .306/.396/.497 with eight home runs and 39 RBI over 193 at-bats this season and would likely serve as the White Sox’s everyday designated hitter if a deal is pulled off.
For what it’s worth — and, mind you, it’s probably not worth much — Ramirez is a .338/.448/.601 hitter over 261 plate appearances in the cozy confines of Chicago’s U.S. Cellular Field.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 280
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 32
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (294)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)