Aug 25, 2010, 6:26 PM EST
Do with this what you will.
Toni Ginnetti of the Chicago Sun-Times published a report moments ago that contains quite a misleading headline. “White Sox close to obtaining Manny Ramirez from Los Angeles Dodgers,” it reads, but the actual article simply gives a rundown of the current situation — a situation that we’re all plenty familiar with.
Manny has been placed on waivers. The White Sox are interested. The Dodgers have been scouting players in the White Sox’s farm system.
We get it, and nobody would be surprised if the 38-year-old Ramirez lands on the south side of Chicago before this week is through. But there doesn’t seem to be any sort of breaking news at this time, at least not from Ginnetti and Co. at the Sun-Times.
Manny is batting .306/.396/.497 with eight home runs and 39 RBI over 193 at-bats this season and would likely serve as the White Sox’s everyday designated hitter if a deal is pulled off.
For what it’s worth — and, mind you, it’s probably not worth much — Ramirez is a .338/.448/.601 hitter over 261 plate appearances in the cozy confines of Chicago’s U.S. Cellular Field.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)