Aug 25, 2010, 6:26 PM EST
Do with this what you will.
Toni Ginnetti of the Chicago Sun-Times published a report moments ago that contains quite a misleading headline. “White Sox close to obtaining Manny Ramirez from Los Angeles Dodgers,” it reads, but the actual article simply gives a rundown of the current situation — a situation that we’re all plenty familiar with.
Manny has been placed on waivers. The White Sox are interested. The Dodgers have been scouting players in the White Sox’s farm system.
We get it, and nobody would be surprised if the 38-year-old Ramirez lands on the south side of Chicago before this week is through. But there doesn’t seem to be any sort of breaking news at this time, at least not from Ginnetti and Co. at the Sun-Times.
Manny is batting .306/.396/.497 with eight home runs and 39 RBI over 193 at-bats this season and would likely serve as the White Sox’s everyday designated hitter if a deal is pulled off.
For what it’s worth — and, mind you, it’s probably not worth much — Ramirez is a .338/.448/.601 hitter over 261 plate appearances in the cozy confines of Chicago’s U.S. Cellular Field.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)