Aug 25, 2010, 4:57 PM EST
Earlier this afternoon I mocked the Royals for putting out a terrible lineup against Armando Galarraga and the Tigers, giving them a particularly tough time for using Willie Bloomquist as their No. 3 hitter.
As noted at the time, Bloomquist is a career .255 hitter with a .305 on-base percentage and .310 slugging percentage against righties, including .205/.221/.253 this season. He has been one of the worst hitters in baseball against righties.
And so naturally he just hit the game-winning homer–off right-hander Alfredo Figaro–in the 12th inning. Seriously. Ned Yost may want to buy some lottery tickets tonight.
The lesson here is either that I’m a doofus or baseball is a funny game. Actually, probably some combination of both. They’re not mutually exclusive, after all. Seriously though, Willie Bloomquist?!
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)