Aug 26, 2010, 8:14 PM EST
Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols just launched an opposite-field home run off Nationals pitcher Jordan Zimmermann. It was his 400th career long-ball.
Pujols is the 47th player to reach that feat and the third-youngest in baseball history, behind only Eddie Matthews and Alex Rodriguez. He is a .332/.426/.625 career hitter and has managed at least 30 home runs over his first 10 major league seasons.
If “El Hombre” continues to crush opposing pitching and Joey Votto shows any kind of letup, he might even win baseball’s first Triple Crown since 1967.
But, uh, SI’s Tom Verducci still thinks Josh Hamilton is the “best player in baseball.”
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 287
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (287)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)