Albert Pujols goes deep for the 400th time

Aug 26, 2010, 8:14 PM EDT

Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols just launched an opposite-field home run off Nationals pitcher Jordan Zimmermann.  It was his 400th career long-ball.

Pujols is the 47th player to reach that feat and the third-youngest in baseball history, behind only Eddie Matthews and Alex Rodriguez.  He is a .332/.426/.625 career hitter and has managed at least 30 home runs over his first 10 major league seasons.

If “El Hombre” continues to crush opposing pitching and Joey Votto shows any kind of letup, he might even win baseball’s first Triple Crown since 1967.

But, uh, SI’s Tom Verducci still thinks Josh Hamilton is the “best player in baseball.”

1. bergwood3 - Aug 26, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Off Jordan Zimmermann….please write correctly

2. bergwood3 - Aug 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Jordan Z…not Ryan. Get it right!

3. Jess_Ball - Aug 26, 2010 at 9:10 PM

These 9 or 10 years have gone by quickly… The 300th did not seem like it happened too long ago. Wasn’t it early in the ’08 season? Congrats’, Albert. Now stop it.
    Obligatory comment about Mannywood –
    *Manny still has the best swing in baseball. Much cooler to watch his at-bats than Albert’s.
    *And if Josh Hamilton can stay healthy, he’s going to be (finally) get a chance maybe to show he could be one of the best all-around players in the game even though it would be disrespectful to say such a thing before Albert Pujols retires. I really hate when I have to dislike a guy on the basis that he is taking away chances for other cool players to be the best. Sorry, Albert.
    Stay healthy, Josh!

4. Mark McKee - Aug 26, 2010 at 9:27 PM

I guess you’d really have to be a juiceball freak to give a crap about any MLB record broken in the last 15 years. Maybe he’s not juicing, but it doesn’t matter whether you’re clean or dirty. For true sports fans, it is all tainted and MLB is irrelevant, from juicing to the lack of a real commissioner, baseball is a joke,

5. Glenn - Aug 26, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Pujols isn’t a PED user. He just happened to put on a ton of muscle before his breakout season and his head magically grew a hat size or two. Some guys are late bloomers.

6. melodyjbf - Aug 27, 2010 at 1:53 AM

Eddie Matthews? ESPN says it was A-Rod and Griffey (not Matthews):
    “At 30 years, 222 days, Pujols became the third-youngest player to hit 400 homers. Alex Rodriguez hit No. 400 at 29 years, 316 days, and Ken Griffey Jr. reached the benchmark at 30 years, 141 days.”

7. Ace2000 - Aug 27, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Pujols’ “breakout” season was his rookie year, at age 21. He arrived in the majors in full bloom. I have no idea what you think you’re talking about.

8. Joe - Aug 27, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Hey, look! Turd in the punchbowl!

9. El Bravo - Aug 27, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Poo Holes…he he (I’m 12)

10. Ari Collins - Aug 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM

It took several years for me to even realize that Pujols was such a funny name. I guess I didn’t really think too much about the sound of his name, even though I’d said it aloud many times. But then I was having a conversation about him near my sister, and she was like, “Did you just say poo holes?” And now my world will never be the same.

11. Michael - Aug 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Why are you here?

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4852)