Astros sweep four-game series from Phillies, in Philadelphia

Aug 26, 2010, 5:34 PM EDT

This afternoon Wandy Rodriguez and the Astros completed an unlikely four-game sweep of the Phillies, in Philadelphia.
Not only is it the first time the Phillies have been swept in a four-game series at home since 2002–in other words, before they’d even moved into their current ballpark–they came into the series having won 22 of 29 and the Astros came into the series at 53-69.
It’s been a long season in Houston, but former Phillies general manager Ed Wade must have at least enjoyed this series quite a bit, particularly since ex-Phillies Brett Myers, J.A. Happ, and Michael Bourn played big roles.
And as the Associated Press points out the Astros are somehow now 30-16 against the Phillies since 2004, which makes them the only NL team with a winning record during that time against the reigning back-to-back league champs. When not playing the Phillies, the Astros are 529-528 since 2004.
Philadelphia drops to three games behind Atlanta in the NL East and now trail San Francisco by a half-game in the Wild Card race. And if they fail to make the playoffs for the first time since 2006, you can be sure Phillies fans will think back to this brutal series as the reason.

1. Utley's hair - Aug 26, 2010 at 5:47 PM

J.A. Happ is now 2-0 head-to-head against Doc. Ugh.

2. Jess_Ball - Aug 26, 2010 at 6:12 PM

The Astros were not a fun bunch to face a few weeks back. We started our series off on the day of the trades, and faced Happ… and were not Happ-y.
    Those guys are going to make everyone miserable. Michael Bourne is an evil robot. Or, a robot, at the very least.

3. Utley's hair - Aug 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM

A robot who managed to score from second on an infield hit to third. How the hell does THAT happen?!?!?

4. Reflex - Aug 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM

You know, I’ve generally liked the Phillies, but I have to say after reading some of the Phil’s fans in the last couple days on this blog this sweep is highly amusing(except Utley’s Hair who I generally find hilarious if only for the nickname). The Phils are a good team, but they aren’t what they were last year or the year before, even without all the injuries. They are aging and its showing, and Brown hasn’t made the immediate impact everyone hoped for(including myself given that I have him on one fantasy roster).
    At this point I wouldn’t be suprised to see them miss the playoffs entirely, with the Giants, Cards or Rockies taking it instead. And in a way that is too bad as thier window is closing rapidly, and I like most of their players(except Howard, the human windmill).

5. Old Gator - Aug 26, 2010 at 7:27 PM

I guess no one wants to hear me point out the deleterious effects of horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches again – at least, not on top of yesterday – so this time I’ll just leave it to the upcoming special on the Discover Health Channel and the next Surgeon General’s Report on Atherosclerotic Etiologies (which is being withheld until mid-November so as not to unduly influence the elections). I don’t think the Vatican Council’s report on the evil spirits that cause heart failure will be out much before spring training so that’ll be timely in February, but I have heard that burning horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches in one of the recommended methods of exorcism. Ah well, we’ll just have to wait and see.

6. Utley's hair - Aug 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM

This series gave me enough indigestion, I think I need a cheesesteak to settle my stomach–with an inebriating chaser, of course. Mmmm…horsemeat…ahlllll…D’OH!!!!!

7. Utley's hair - Aug 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I’m not exactly sure how to take that.

8. Utley's hair - Aug 26, 2010 at 7:49 PM

That photo is so appropriate for this series, as well as for the last week or so. However, the Phightins have a tendency to give it up to the Bucs, Astros and Nats of the leagues much the same way Jim Levenstein gives it up to baked goods.

9. Reflex - Aug 26, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Like a man, of course.

10. schmedley - Aug 26, 2010 at 8:55 PM

The Phillies were swept by the Astros (in Houston) last Labor Day weekend as well, and everyone wrote them off then too. How did that turn out? The Astros just have the Phillies number. It happens in sports.

11. murd - Aug 27, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Are these big words already in your lexicon, or do you thesaurus the hell out of your post before you hit submit?

12. nps6724 - Aug 27, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Last year they didn’t have any real competition.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey