Aug 26, 2010, 2:38 PM EDT
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Brad Hawpe could sign with a new club by as soon as today.
Hawpe, 31, was designated for assignment last week after batting just .255/.343/.432 with seven home runs, 37 RBI and a 776 OPS in 259 at-bats with the Rockies this season. After passing through release waivers this week, he is now eligible to sign with any team.
Renck writes that Hawpe’s agent is already talking to teams and speculates that the Rangers and Padres are among them. Just a short while ago, Corey Brock of MLB.com reported that the Padres intend to pass on Hawpe. It’s probably a wise move for both sides.
Hawpe really fits best in the American League, where his below average defense won’t be a drag on his value. Though he hasn’t shown it this season, he has an 895 OPS against right-handed pitching during his career. Moving from Coors Field won’t be easy for him, but a potential move to the Ballpark at Arlington wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 103
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1