Aug 26, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
As expected, the Brewers have bumped Manny Parra from the rotation after an ugly start Sunday dropped him to 3-10 with a 5.65 ERA this season.
Chris Capuano will replace Parra in the rotation beginning Saturday against the Pirates. Capuano has pitched mostly in relief since coming back from Tommy John surgery, but was a longtime starter for the Brewers before the injury and has done well with a 3.72 ERA and 28/8 K/BB ratio in 29 innings.
When reporters approached Parra regarding the demotion he complained that they only want to talk to him about negative things, which is both true and completely unavoidable given that he’s been so awful for so long.
Since a promising first half to his rookie season in 2008 he has a 15-27 record and 5.99 ERA in 307 innings. What else are they supposed to talk to him about? Parra will be under team control as an arbitration eligible player in 2011, but I’ll be shocked if he’s not traded or non-tendered this offseason. Milwaukee has waited long enough for his above-average raw stuff to translate into something other than terrible results, and he’s now been dumped from the rotation in each of the past three seasons.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 73
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 13
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 34
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 38
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)